Fall is in the air and that means fall sports are in full swing at Missouri State. As the dietitian for our sports teams, I see how hard our athletes in all sports work to compete. Soccer, field hockey, cross country, golf, volleyball and football teams are in the middle of their seasons. While my work is to help our student athletes stay healthy and perform at their peak, we also encourage our students to come support the Bears. Tailgating is a fun way to support the teams and see friends, particularly at football games in the newly renovated stadium.
When preparing snacks or treats to share, remember that many are high in calories and low in nutrition. Instead, look for snack ideas that contain dairy, fruits and vegetables. The recipe below is tasty AND healthy, a win/win for everyone.
- Servings: 10
- Prep time: 20 mins
- Total time: 20 mins
- Created by: Midwest Dairy Association
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 (16-ounce) can spicy fat-free refried beans
- ⅓ cup chunky medium salsa
- 1 (8-ounce) container plain fat-free or low-fat yogurt
- 1 cup finely chopped iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- ⅓ cup sliced green onion, including tops
- 2 tablespoons chopped black olives
- Stir chili power into beans and spread evenly into a round pie dish. Spread yogurt over the bean dip, then the salsa over the yogurt, leaving a narrow border around each layer’s edge. Scatter lettuce over the mixture. Sprinkle Mozzarella and Cheddar cheese over lettuce. Top with tomato, green onion and olives.
- Serve it with baked tortilla chips or an assortment of sliced vegetables, such as carrots and celery.
- Substitution Idea
- Substitute Mexican blend cheese for Mozzarella and Cheddar if desired.