Identifying Fake Wifi
Any wifi signal that isn’t secure could be used by cyber-criminals to track you online and steal your usernames and passwords. Avoid them with these tricks:
- If you don’t recognize the name of a wifi network, think twice before connecting to it.
- Pay close attention to the exact name; hackers might create spoof networks such as “Free_Starbucks_Wifi” near a Starbucks.
- If you suspect you are connected to a fake wifi network, disconnect immediately.
Popular spots for fake wifi signals are public places, such as:
- Coffee shops
- College campuses
- Security Risk: Leaving Your Computer Unlocked - March 9, 2017
- Bogus Wifi Warnings - February 8, 2017
- Preventing Loss of Your iPhone or Android - November 8, 2016
- Happy Halloween! It’s National Cyber Security Awareness Month! - October 28, 2016
- 5 Ways Unknown USB Drives Can Ruin Your Day - September 28, 2016