Boots to Books: Mohammed Mehany

BOOTS TO BOOKS: MOHAMMED MEHANY
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR, CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENTmehany-casual

FROM | Cairo, Egypt
BS | Arab Academy for Science and Technology — Construction and Civil Engineering
MS | Colorado State University — Construction Management  
PHD | Colorado State University — Civil and Environmental Engineering with Construction Management

ON WHAT HE’S BEEN UP TO RECENTLY:

In short: Teach class. Do research. Eat. (Repeat) 

image0041.  Teaching
     — Scheduling and Cost Estimating
2.  Researching
    — Infrastructure Systems, Construction
    Claims Management, Risk Management,
     Project Delivery Systems, Construction
     Safety, Fracking, and Construction Education
3.  Eating
      — Everything. “I’m always hungry!”
4.  Other
      — When I have the time I love to travel, go
      scuba diving, go climbing, do CrossFit, play
      soccer and football, and watch sports.

image001- 2

ON HIS TEACHING PHILOSOPHY:
My teaching style is based on having a personal obligation to prepare and conduct courses that are intellectually engaging, informative and rigorous.  I provide students with substantive information and marketable skills to equip them for their future careers in a stimulating, safe learning environment.  And because graduates will represent the construction management job force when they leave the university educational environment, I help them to understand how education prepares them for their future and encourage and assist them in pursuing their educational and vocational goals.

ON TECHNOLOGY IN EDUCATION:

I think it is critical that students be able to learn in new ways.Technology is a passion of mine and I truly believe through its integration into standard curriculum.  Students should receive the best education we have to offer to prepare them for an industry headed toward innovation.

ON GETTING THROUGH TO STUDENTS:
 image007

Teaching higher education curriculum in the construction industry is extremely challenging but it can also be very rewarding. Though work experience is crucial to student’s success in the design and construction fields, I believe the most valuable skills we can teach students in college are collaboration, self-education, and critical thinking within the context of their specific discipline.  Those are the skills that they will take with them into adulthood and utilize day to day.  I also believe education must be delivered with a sense of humor and a positive attitude.  The more engaging I am, the more excited my students will be.

Mohammed

This entry was posted in College of Business, Faculty Spotlight, technology and construction management and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.