September 12, 2016
The Department of Hospitality and Restaurant Administration has changed its name to Department of Hospitality Leadership.
Former students receive Teacher of the Year nominations!
Two former CNAS students, Keith Stevenson (geology) and Adrienne Deckard (biology), were nominated for the 2016 Regional Teacher of the Year by the COE Leadership Council. Stevenson (Lutie RVI) and Deckard (Springfield schools) were two of ten total teachers nominated, three of which will go to the state level. An event tonight, Sept. 12 at 6 p.m. in the Crystal Room of Kentwood Hall will make the nominations official and celebrate the teachers.
Student Resources page on our website is being updated to get ready for the fall. Check it out and forward to your students.
Women in STEM Event on September 23
ICYMI (in case you missed it) …
- Adam Wanekaya is featured in the current Mind’s Eye.
- Jason Ray is named new director of CRPM. Congratulations, Jason!
- Article with video from Dr. Michelle Bowe – What kind of tree is that? The Ozarks are well-known for their lush forests and beautiful landscapes. But, have you ever wondered the names of certain trees? There are several easy identifying marks you can use to figure it out. “Once you have a leaf, the next step is figuring out if it is simple or compound,” said Dr. Michelle Bowe, senior instructor of biology at Missouri State University. “If they’re simple, that means they have only one blade, but if they’re compound they have more than one blade.” From there, you’ll look at the shape of the leaf. Is it heart-shaped? Does it have teeth around the edges? Questions like these can help you identify the type of tree.
- Members of Dr. Alicia Mathis’ (Department of Biology) research lab made several presentations at the national meeting of the Animal Behavior Society in Columbia, Missouri, this summer. Dr. Mathis also made a presentation at the Highlands Conference on Plethodontid Salamander Biology in North Carolina. Here’s a picture of the entire MSU group, including three alumni, who attended the conference.
Back row: Justin Shew (alumnus), Adam Crane (alumnus), Dr. Mathis, Whitney Heuring (alumna).
Front row: Katie Gardner (undergraduate), Ben Dalton (staff), Paige Farmer (undergraduate), Sarah Heimbach, Colton Lynn
Sept 12-19 Public Affairs Week
Sept 18 BIO Picnic & Scholarship reception, 12:00-4:00, Springfield Lake
Sept 20 CNAS Public lecture series – Dr. Dean Cuebas, 7:00-8:00, Temple 001
Sept 23 Women in STEM Event
Sept 24 Fall Showcase
Sept 26 State of the University Address, 12:15 PM, PSU Theatre
Sept 27-29 Fall Academic Integrity Days
Sept 28 Majors Fair
Sept 28 STEM Lecture at Library Center – Dr. Paul Schweiger, 7-8 PM
Oct 12-13 HSP Recruiters’ Fair
Oct 13 Scholarship Reception (3 PM) and Emeritus Dinner (5:30 PM)
Oct 14 Wall of Fame ceremony, 4 PM, PSU Ballroom
Oct 15 Homecoming 2016!
Oct 21-22 Tri-State Water Coalition meeting, Darr Ag Center
- Tune in every Thursday morning at 9:45 AM for 5-minute STEM Spots on KSMU hosted by Dr. David Cornelison.
- Check out CNAS blog and CNAS NewsWatch for more information.
- CNAS NEWS posted by University Communications – news.missouristate.edu/tag/cnas
- Follow on Twitter: @TSJahnke
As always, please submit items for the next CNAS NEWS!