Keep up-to-date with the Disability Resource Center by reading our newsletter here.
In This Issue:
- SUCCESSability Award 2013
- New Student Organization: Bear Connect
- Delta Alpha Pi Honors Society
- Weather-Related Accessibility Issues
SUCCESSability Award 2013
Students are invited to send in their nominations for the 2013 SUCCESSability Award. The SUCCESSability Award was created to recognize a full-time faculty or staff member’s commitment toward enhancing the educational experience of students with disabilities as demonstrated by their outstanding proactive and/or innovative efforts in providing an inclusive educational environment.
Students can submit their nominations on the Online SUCCESSability Nomination Form. Students can also fill out a paper nomination form in person at the Disability Resource Center, PSU405.
Nominations are due by Tuesday, February 26, 2013.
New Student Organization: Bear Connect
Bear Connect, a new student organization at MSU, would like to hold its first meeting very soon! The purpose of this organization is to promote educational, social, and community service opportunities for all students with disabilities. Meetings and membership are open to ALL MSU students.
If you are interested in getting involved or learning more please contact Michael Jenkins at Michael012@live.missouristate.edu
Delta Alpha Pi Honors Society
Delta Alpha Pi, the Disability Honors Society at MSU, will soon be initiating new members. Because of the negative stereotyping associated with disability, students have been reluctant to identify themselves publicly. Delta Alpha Pi Honor Society presents an opportunity to change that perception by recognizing students with disabilities for their academic accomplishments. In addition, this honor society facilitates development of skills in leadership, advocacy and education for participating students.
Interested students should contact the Disability Resource Center via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), phone (417-836-4192), or by visiting our office. For more information on the purpose, history, and admissions criteria of Delta Alpha Pi, visit the Delta Alpha Pi webpage.
Weather-Related Accessibility Issues
If you are unable to navigate campus due to snow or ice, please contact both the Disability Resource Center (417-836-4192) and Work Management (417-836-8400). We will collaborate with Work Management to remove the barrier as soon as possible.
Did you know that there are scholarships specifically directed toward students with disabilities? The Disability Resource Center encourages you to complete the General and Departmental Scholarship Application, through which you can automatically apply for nearly 1,000 donor-funded scholarships at Missouri State University. These include disability and diversity scholarships which you can read more about on our website:
We wish you luck in applying! Remember that the application deadline is March 1, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. (CST). To complete the General and Departmental Scholarship Application, see the instructions below.
How to Access the Application:
- Go to My.missouristate.edu and log in using your Bear Pass and Password.
- Select the Profile Tab and find the Financial Aid Channel.
- Select the General and Departmental Scholarship Application.
- You will be automatically logged into Scholarship Manager (you shouldn’t be prompted for a Username or Password) and will have the option to either search through the database of scholarships or start your application.
- You will select one of three different applications – Incoming Freshman Application, Current Undergraduate Application, or Graduate Student Application. SELECT ONLY ONE APPLICATION – the application that is applicable to your student type as of the beginning of the 2013 – 2014 Academic School Year.