Keep up to date with the Disability Resource Center by reading our newsletter here.
In This Issue:
- 2013-2014 Climate Study
- Drop Course Deadlines
- Weather Issues
- Changes to Scheduling Out-of-Class Exams
- BearConnect Meetings for Spring Semester
- Internship/Employment Meet and Greet with Springfield Employers
2013-2014 Climate Study
The Division for Diversity and Inclusion is embarking on an extensive climate study to better understand how diversity is viewed and experienced on our campus and in our community. DiversityWorks Inc., the independent contractors who are conducting the study, will be on campus in February to facilitate discussion groups amongst students, student organizations, faculty, staff, and community members from diverse backgrounds.
Missouri State University values disability as an integral part of diversity, and so it is very important that the voices of students with disabilities are included. Keep an eye out next semester for opportunities to share your voice. You can read more about the climate study here.
Drop Course Deadlines
Students considering dropping a course should keep the following deadlines for dropping classes in mind:
- First Block Classes: February 24th
- Full-Semester Classes: April 11th
- Second Block Classes: April 25th
If students encounter any barriers due to weather, such as snow or ice, students should report the barrier to Work Management (417-836-8400) to have the barrier removed. Please also contact the Disability Resource Center, so that we can know about the issue.
Changes to Scheduling Out-of-Class Exams
The procedures for scheduling out-of-class exams has changed slightly for Spring semester in order to create a more streamlined and convenient service for all involved. Below is a summary of these changes:
- There is now an out-of-class testing landing page, where you can find a description of the requirements and forms for out-of-class testing.
- Students will no longer provide their syllabi to the DRC. There are two options for scheduling tests, described below.
- Students wanting to schedule their exams ahead of time will utilize the Schedule Multiple Exams by Course form. This form allows students to schedule all of their exams for a single course at one time. Note that students will need to fill out one form per course.
- Students wanting to schedule their exams one at a time will utilize the old form, now called the Schedule a Single Exam form.
- In both cases, students should notify the DRC as soon as possible when they need to cancel or reschedule a test. This allows our office to more efficiently utilize our resources.
BearConnect Meetings for Spring Semester
BearConnect, the new student organization for students with disabilities, invite all interested students to attend their regular meetings: every Friday at 3:00pm. Their January 24th meeting will be in PSU311. All other meetings will be in PSU309.
Internship/Employment Meet and Greet with Springfield Employers
The City of Springfield, the Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce, Ozark Region Missouri Career Center and City Utilities are hosting a “Meet and Greet” with students to connect college students with potential employers based on your college major for possible internships and employment opportunities.
The “Meet and Greet” will take place on February 13, 2014 at 6:00 P.M. at the Missouri Career Center located on E. Sunshine in Springfield, Missouri. Transportation will be provided if needed. If you would like to receive an invitation to attend this event, please email Francine Pratt (Director of Multicultural Programs) your name, college major and expected graduation year. At this event you will also learn more information the Network (Springfield’s Young Professional Group).
Please respond by January 23, 2014. Feel free to contact Francine at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need more information.