The fall semester is almost upon us which means we’re entering one of the busiest times of the year when talking about Financial Aid. Do yourself a favor and take a moment to make sure all your 2013-2014 Financial Aid is ready to go!
First things first: check your Bear Pass account to see if you have any requirements that might hold-up your aid from disbursing. To check this you’ll want to log in to your Bear Pass account and navigate to the “Profile” tab. Once there you’ll see a link in the Financial Aid section labeled “Student Requirements.” Check that link out (select the 2013-2014 Aid Year) and make sure you don’t have any outstanding requirements. If you do, get your documents into our office as quickly as you can! If you have questions, call our office at (417) 836-5262 or (800) 283-4243.
After you check your requirements screen you’ll need to review your 2013-2014 Online Award Letter. The link for this will also be under the Financial Aid section and will be labeled “Award for Aid Year.” Read your award letter carefully to ensure everything looks correct! If you need to accept any aid do it as soon as you can so we can have it ready for disbursement. Also, while you’re there, go ahead and accept your financial aid terms and conditions.
If you’re accepting Direct Stafford Loans at MSU for the first time you will need to complete your online Entrance Counseling and sign your Master Promissory Note (MPN) if you haven’t already done so. Both of these must be completed before any student loan money can be disbursed to your account so you’ll want to have them satisfied soon. You can complete both of these at the same place: http://studentloans.gov.
If you have any questions please contact our office either by phone, email, or in person. Remember, this is YOUR Financial Aid Office!
Winter break is the perfect time to get started on your scholarship application for the 2013-14 school year.
About the application
With the General and Departmental Scholarship Application, you apply for Missouri State’s almost 1,000 donor-funded scholarships. You can search the database of scholarships before applying.
Completing the application
The General and Departmental Scholarship Application must be completed online. You do not have to complete your application in one sitting; you can save your answers and return to it later.
- Log in to My Missouri State
- Click on the Profile tab near the top of the My Missouri State page.
- Click on the Online Agreements link in the Other Information section on the Profile tab.
- Complete the Online Financial Aid Agreement.
- Click on the General and Departmental Scholarship Application link in the Financial Aid section in the Profile tab.
- Select your student type as of the start of the 2013-14 academic year.
- Follow the application steps, review your answers and click Submit.
- Complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
The scholarship application requires that you be admitted to the University and create a My Missouri State account.
The application is available from Nov. 1, 2012 to March 1, 2013. You must complete both the application and your FAFSA by March 1 to be considered for maximum aid.
For more information, visit the General and Departmental Scholarships page or contact our office at 417-836-5262.
As 2012 draws to a close, it’s time to start thinking about applying for financial aid for the next school year. The best place to begin is with the FAFSA.
Why the FAFSA?
The FAFSA is used to evaluate your eligibility for the following:
- Federal student financial aid – grants, loans and work-study
- The State of Missouri’s college aid programs
- Missouri State University’s need-based programs
All college-bound high school students and adults, and currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA.
Completing the FAFSA
The federal government starts accepting the FAFSA – or Free Application for Federal Student Aid – on January 1.
You will need the following documents to complete your application for 2013-14:
- Your social security number
- Your driver’s license
- Current bank statements and any investment records
- Your 2012 Federal Income Tax Return, 2012 W-2 forms and other records of money earned
- Your parent’s 2012 Federal Income Tax Return (if a dependent student)
- Your 2012 untaxed income records
- Your alien registration or permanent registration card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
- A PIN to sign your FAFSA electronically
The FAFSA can be completed online. You will need to provide Missouri State’s federal school code: 002503.
Your FAFSA requires the most recent tax return documents, so you will need to file your taxes prior to beginning the application process or use the tax information you have available and submit a correction once you have filed your taxes for the current year.
You should complete the FAFSA by the priority deadline of March 31, 2013. We recommend submitting your application in February as the deadline for the General and Departmental Scholarship Application is March 1, 2013.
For more information, visit the How Do I Apply for Financial Aid? page or contact our office at 417-836-5262.
The Office of Student Financial Aid has an updated website and we’re excited about the new look and layout. We encourage you to visit the site so you can get familiar with the changes. Please contact our office if you are unable to locate what you need.