Students finds passion for volunteerism, language through global studies program

glb1a copySenior Emma Sudholt says she would not be the person she is today if not for the classes she’s taken at Missouri State.

Courses shape world view

Sudholt, a double major in global studies and Spanish, said her opinions and world views were irrevocably changed after taking courses like comparative government and global ethics.

Professors and advisors have also inspired her to volunteer and study abroad.

gblb copyExperiences broaden cultural understanding

“I may not have been interested in an organization like The Covering House if I had not taken classes that taught me about the horrors of sex trafficking,” Sudholt said of her internship at the St. Louis nonprofit helping teens facing sexual exploitation.

And studying away to Ecuador and Spain “helped me learn the Spanish language and understand cultures different than my own.”

She also found a passion for working with the Stomp Out Hunger shoe drive, collecting shoes for those who continue to be affected by the 2010 earthquake in Haiti.

glbc copySudholt foresees success beyond graduation

As Sudholt looks to the uncertain future, beyond her expected spring 2015 graduation, she said: “I have no doubt that I will be successful because of the global studies department at Missouri State.”

This entry was posted in Global Studies, News, Student View and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.