One Down, 7 to Go: Moving Forward in the Honors College

Well, my first semester was a good one. My honors classes gave me challenges to conquer, and it was great to be in classes that stimulated my mind in a different way than theatre does. I love learning about theatre and being in those classes, but I also want the most well-rounded education I can get. Theatre is an expression of real life, and it is important to have knowledge on a broad range of topics that can be applied onstage.

One of my challenges was exams. My exams came right after auditions for the spring shows at MSU, a requirement for members of the BFA program. This was hard; I had to balance preparing for important auditions and doing well for the Theatre and Dance faculty while still staying on top of my schoolwork and studying for my other exams. I think I divided my time very well. I stayed organized and managed to do well during the last weeks of the semester. I like to make lists, and that allowed me to have a physical representation of what I needed to do and kept me on track while I was working. It also feels so good to be able to cross something off those lists: accomplishments. I dedicated a lot of time to myself and keeping myself sane. I had to make some social sacrifices, but I divided my time well and still saw my friends during those crazy few weeks.

I learned a lot from last semester. My honors classes were great to be a part of and influenced my decision in the honor course I am in this semester, Ethics and Contemporary Issues. The smaller class size made me more confortable to speak up in class, and once I got comfortable doing that, I learned so much more. Simply going to class allowed me to be successful because so much happens in a short amount of time. So far, Ethics has been my hardest class, and I am working my butt off to get as much as I can out of it. I have never taken a philosophy class before, so the first week was a shock for me. I was very confused in class. However, I started talking and getting involved, and I now have a better understanding of what I am supposed to be learning and how I can get the most that I can out of the class.

My second semester is shaping up to be a good one as well, and with the knowledge I gained from last semester, I believe I am prepared to handle whatever is thrown at me.

About Rachel Schmeling

I am a freshman Musical Theatre major in the Honors College. I am excited and nervous for the challenges that this will present, but loving every crazy minute of it. I'm also a native of Wisconsin, and have a lot of state pride :)
This entry was posted in Honors College and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to One Down, 7 to Go: Moving Forward in the Honors College

1. Cynthia Johnson says:

Congratulations on finishing your first semester, Rachel. Philosophy courses can be tough, but they’re also very interesting and useful. Just continue making those lists, and you’ll do fine!