loretha-year-2

Loretha Cain

“My favorite part of this year is getting to volunteer more.”

During Loretha Cain’s sophomore year at Missouri State, she’s been both a student and a teacher – passing on the important lessons she learns about media and communication in the classroom on to girls at Boys and Girls Town.

“My favorite part of this year is getting to volunteer more. Now that I know my schedule more, I have time to volunteer and do what I want to do.”

“I don’t want them to feel like they have to look like the people on the television screen.”

An idea sparked from a video shown in class, Loretha meets with girls every other week to talk about the importance of communication and being media literate.

“I think a lot of girls, when they think about beauty, look around at what the media defines beauty as, and I don’t think the media has variety in their types of beauty…,” explains Loretha. “I don’t want them to feel like they have to look like the people on the television screen. Beauty comes from within.”

“You never know how much you can impact someone just by volunteering.”

Loretha says volunteering is important because it helps people stay humble.

“You know, we sometimes focus on our own problems, but then we go out and realize ‘I just need to be thankful for this, for what I do have,’” Loretha says. “You never know – with the girls I’m working with – you never know how much you can impact someone just by volunteering.”

“I feel like I’m applying for schools all over again.”

As her sophomore year draws to a close, Loretha looks forward to applying for and hopefully landing a summer internship.

“I’m applying for a lot of internships, so it’s really exciting for me,” Loretha explains. “I feel like I’m applying for schools all over again.”

For now, she’s keeping her options open.

“You never know what will happen,” Loretha says.