The May meeting of the Board of Governors was held last week. I want to highlight several action items from the meeting.
Board approved programs, awarded contracts
The board approved two new academic programs — a bachelor of science in agriculture communication and a bachelor of science in English/creative writing and literature.
The board awarded a contract to DeWitt & Associates to renovate areas on the third floor of the Professional Building. The work will include the genetics/physiology lab, anatomy lab, introduction to biosciences labs (with prep areas), the masters of public health lab and a graduate assistant’s workroom. The work is scheduled to complete this summer.
Recognition of service
The board also approved a number of awards and commendations.
- The board approved a resolution recognizing Governor Joe Carmichael for his leadership as a member of the Board of Governors. Please join me in thanking him for his service to Missouri State University.
- The board approved resolutions recognizing Micheal Foster (Chair of Faculty Senate), Adam Coffman (Student Body President) and Brianna Duda (Student Body Vice President) for their service to the university. I have enjoyed working with each of these individuals. They have been effective leaders for our faculty and students throughout the past year.
- The board acknowledged the 2016-17 Excellence in Public Affairs for Faculty and Staff Award Recipients. This year’s recipients of the Faculty Excellence in Public Affairs award are Catherine English, Paula Rector and Adena Young-Jones. This year’s recipients of the Staff Excellence in Public Affairs award are Alex Johnson, Dandan Liu and Patrick Parnell.
- The board acknowledged the recipients of the Missouri State Foundation Awards for Teaching, Research and Service. This year’s recipients of the service award are Amy Blansit and Carol Maples. This year’s recipients of the research award are Keith Ekstam and Wafaa Kaf. This year’s recipients of the teaching award are Paul Durham and Kurt Heinlein. Durham is also the recipient of this year’s Governor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching.
- The board also approved the 2017 inductees for the Wall of Fame. This year’s inductees are John Bowdidge, John Catau, Marilyn Chana, Bruce Johnson, Mike McElhaney and Sally Rowe.
Being mindful of the budget
At the Finance and Facilities Committee meeting, the board also reviewed and discussed the model that we will use to develop the fiscal year 2018 budget. The board will approve the final budget at the June meeting.
As you know, for the Springfield campus this budget model includes $4 million in expense reductions. These reductions include eliminating 22 vacant staff positions, five vacant faculty positions and eight occupied staff positions. By working to reduce as many expenses outside the academic units as possible, the budget will include only a 1.2 percent budget reduction for the colleges.
The University of Missouri’s Columbia campus recently announced that it anticipates a 7.4 percent enrollment decline, requiring its fiscal year 2018 budget to be cut by 12 percent. The campus expects to eliminate between 350 and 400 positions and layoff between 80 and 100 employees.
As we finalize our budget, I am reminded of the important role increased tuition revenue through enrollment growth has played in the financial well-being of Missouri State. The university’s success is the result of all of us working together to enhance Missouri State’s student success, academic excellence, and state and nationwide reputation.
Thanks for all you do for Missouri State!
Send Comments to the President's Office