As promised, I wanted to report back on the incident all Springfield higher education institutions dealt with Wednesday afternoon. We have had many inquiries about how Missouri State University responded.
Safety is our number one priority
First, let me assure you that our number one priority is the safety of our campus and of the students, faculty, staff and visitors who are on it. That will never change.
About the incident
Wednesday, we were made aware of the report through the Springfield Police Department Substation located on our campus. Having the substation co-located with our safety and transportation department is a tremendous benefit for our students, faculty and staff. The police and our own staff were in communication with the other campuses and with police on those campuses. They were able to assess the situation and determined that it was not necessary to lock down our campus. I also believe that was the correct decision.
Communication to increase
Where we failed was in our communication. We did not provide status reports to the campus in a timely manner. In the future, instead of waiting to ensure the information is 100% complete and accurate, we will send more frequent and timely notes to share information as we have it, ending with a final summary when we have all of the information. Lesson learned.
Thank you for your concern and your inquiries. They help ensure that we evaluate thoroughly and learn and improve. That will be the case here, I promise.
- Clif’s Notes for Oct. 6, 2015 - October 6, 2015
- 2015 State of the University Address ‘Our Passion for Excellence’ - October 1, 2015
- Clif’s Notes for Sept. 29, 2015 - September 29, 2015
- Clif’s Notes for Sept. 22, 2015 - September 22, 2015
- Clif’s Notes for Sept. 15, 2015 - September 15, 2015
- Clif’s Notes for Sept. 8, 2015 - September 8, 2015
- Clif’s Notes for Sept. 1, 2015 - September 1, 2015
- Clif’s Notes for Aug. 25, 2015 - August 25, 2015
- Clif’s Notes for Aug. 18, 2015 - August 18, 2015
- Students, welcome to Missouri State University - August 16, 2015