During MSU’s 2014 Summer Intersession, 13 anthropology students participated in archaeological field research at the Reeves site, a historic African American residential site in Ash Grove, located 25 miles from MSU’s Springfield campus. The archaeological field work carried out by the students constituted their coursework for Field Archaeology (Anthropology 341), taught by Dr. Sobel of the MSU Department of Sociology and Anthropology. The 13 students include 10 from MSU and three from other universities including Drury, Truman State, and the University of Michigan. The students carried out field work on a daily basis over a three week period, learning basic archaeological field methods including survey, excavation, and mapping. The students also learned about approaches specific to historical archaeology including the use of archival documents, oral tradition, and archaeological remains as complementary sources of information about the recent past. In addition, students learned about the relevance and context of their work at the Reeves site by meeting members of the Reeves family, which still owns the site, and visiting related sites including the Ozarks Afro-American Heritage Museum and the Nathan Boone Homestead State Historic Site. In addition, local African American musician and artist Clarence Brewer spoke to the class about African American cultural heritage in Southwest Missouri. Archaeology at the Reeves site is part of a larger study investigating African American life and race relations in southwest Missouri during the Reconstruction and Jim Crow eras (late 1800s through 1950s). The Reeves site was occupied for about a century, from ca. 1900 until 2000, by four generations of the Reeves family. This African American family migrated from Tennessee to Missouri by 1880, and settled in a racially mixed neighborhood on the outskirts of Ash Grove by 1890. Unlike most of rural southwest Missouri at that time, Ash Grove had a vibrant black community because the Ash Grove White Lime and Portland Cement Company employed many African American men. This size of this community declined in the 1930s, when the company shut down operations in Ash Grove. The Reeves family was part of this black community. Although most family members moved away in the 1930s, to find work elsewhere, matriarch Cassie Reeves stayed until she died in 1946. She and other family members are buried in the nearby Berry Cemetery, which is the only Greene County cemetery on the National Register of Historic Places. The field work carried out by the 2014 Field Archaeology students focused on the remains of original house at the site, built and occupied by Cassie Reeves, William Harvey Reeves, some of their children and grandchildren, and William’s mother. Shovel testing, excavation, and mapping clarified the locations and architecture of the house, outbuildings, and outdoor activity areas. The animal bone, metal tool parts, ceramic sherds, and glass fragments excavated from the area have begun to shed light on the daily lives of the Reeves, including their subsistence activities, participation in the growing consumer economy, social dynamics, and land use. During the 2014-2015 academic year, anthropology students will learn more by from the analysis of artifacts and field records from the excavation. In addition, graduate student Andrea Gregory will study the site as part of her Applied Anthropology Masters Thesis project. Additional archaeological field work, as well as oral history interviews and archival research, is also planned. Archaeological field work at the Reeves site was possible through permission from the Reeves family, which owns the site. The archaeological work was conducted in collaboration with the Ozarks Afro-American Heritage Museum, located in Ash Grove and directed by Moses Berry. The Field Archaeology course helps forward the Museum’s educational goals while providing students with archaeological field training and a chance to participate in anthropological research. The Field Archaeology was taught by Dr. Sobel and anthropology graduate assistants Andrea Gregory and Grace Gronniger. Former MSU Anthropology students John Fox and Sarah Reid served as volunteer teaching assistants.