The University will once again host a campus-wide energy competition in April called Flip The Switch!
Join your fellow Bears between April 1st and April 20th to reduce your energy consumption on campus!
Here is the list of opportunities for students, faculty and staff to get involved (and even win prizes)!
- Energy Conservation 101: April 5th from 2:00-3:00 pm in Hill Hall 0002. This free training will provide employees with information about the importance of conserving energy on campus and at home. You will learn simple strategies to reduce energy consumption and increase energy efficiency. We will also cover the hot topic of renewable energy. View the MSU Calendar event for more info and be sure to reserve your spot through My Learning Connection.
- Enter our Take the Stairs Challenge! Simultaneously reduce your energy usage and increase your physical activity by committing to take the stairs instead of the elevator. Compete with other Bears to see who can take the most flights of stairs in April and win Visa gift cards! Enter here!
- Energy Conservation Social Media Challenge: Take a picture of the one thing you commit to do to conserve energy in April. Post your picture on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram to be entered to win gift cards to local restaurants and more! Make sure you tag your post with #MSUFlipTheSwitch and @MSUSustain as well as 1 friend!
- Innovative Idea Competition: Faculty and Staff can make a big impact on campus energy usage by making small changes during the day. This year we will recognize faculty and staff who go above and beyond during the competition. Submit your innovative idea for a chance to win! Your idea should focus on conserving energy on campus, educating the campus about the importance of energy conservation, or increasing participation in our energy conservation competition. Individuals and groups are invited to submit their ideas using this form. The best individual idea will win Boomer Meals. The best group idea (which could be submitted by your office or department) will win a free lunch party. Winners will receive a recognition award and be also be featured in a blog included in Inside Missouri State. Submit your idea on the sustainability website anytime between April 1st and April 15th!
- Print out the Faculty/Staff Commitment Poster and place a check next to all the practices you pledge to carry out. There is no minimum, but try to set as many realistic goals as possible! Hang this poster on your office door or window to demonstrate your commitments and encourage others to do the same!
- Residence Hall Energy Competition: Keep tabs on the Building Dashboard to see how you are stacking up against other residence halls on campus. The residence hall that reduces energy consumption the most will win a finals week party and a trophy! Check the Sustainability Homepage every Friday during the competition to see the building rankings!
- Green Room Certifications: Fill out this quick form to get your Room or Suite, Office, or Residence Hall Front Desk Green Certified! You will receive a badge to hang on your door and other free things.
- Hour without Power: Each week try to go at least one hour without using any electricity: take a walk, grade papers using only natural light, or eat your lunch outside without the distraction of your phone.
- Lunch without Lights: For each of the three weeks of the competition, one dining hall will turn out their lights during lunch to raise awareness about the competition and to save energy!
- April 4th – 8th in Blair Shannon from 11a-1p
- April 11th – 15th in Garst from 11a-1p
- April 18th – 22nd in Kentwood from 11a-1p