Last semester, we offered the first Northwest Earth Institute (NWEI) sustainability discussion course on campus: Menu for the Future. This course met for six, one-hour sessions to discuss the social, economic and environmental impacts of what we eat.
Menu for the Future Testimonial: “I really enjoyed the NWEI course about food and learned so much! The short articles kept my interest when reading and also offered many different perspectives about food topics. My favorite part was discussing the material and choosing an action item to work on. I am now more educated on food related topics, such as organic vs non organic, farmers markets, and food production systems. I also understand that what I eat matters and effects more than just myself.” – Ashley Newson, Junior at Missouri State University
Spring 2016 Discussion Courses
In the spring, we will be offering two NWEI courses: Choices for Sustainable Living and Voluntary Simplicity. Below you can read about each of these courses and see the meeting schedule. We only have space for 12 people in each course, so sign-up today to reserve your spot! These courses are completely FREE, open to all MSU students, faculty, and staff and do not require prior knowledge or experience with the topic.
Choices for Sustainable Living
Participants will meet for six, one-hour sessions to:
- Explore the meaning of sustainability
- Consider the ties between lifestyle choices and their impact on Earth
- Learn about steps that can be taken to move toward ecologically sustainable organizations, lifestyles, and communities
Meetings will be on Wednesdays from 3:00 – 4:00 p.m. in Meyer Library room 209 beginning January 20th and ending on March 2nd.
Course Flyer: NWEI Choices for Sustainable Living
Participants will meet for five, one-hour sessions to:
- Gain an understanding of the meaning of voluntary simplicity
- Explore the material and psychological distractions that prevent us from caring for Earth
- Consider how life might be enriched through the practice of simplicity
- Develop a personal Action Plan to integrate simplicity into their lives
Meetings will be on Tuesdays from 3:30 – 4:30 p.m. in Meyer Library room 209 beginning on March 15th and ending on April 19th.
Course Flyer: NWEI Voluntary Simplicity
To sign-up, contact Jordan Schanda, Sustainability Coordinator
Or fill out the online interest form.