One Map to Rule Them All – HighEdWeb 2010

Presentation given at the HighEdWeb 2010 Conference in Cincinnati

One Map to Rule Them All

Resources

About Chad Killingsworth

Chad Killingsworth is the assistant director and technical lead for the office of web & new media at Missouri State University.
Follow me on twitter
This entry was posted in Technical, Web and New Media and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to One Map to Rule Them All – HighEdWeb 2010

1. Dwight says:

Awesome, Awesome!

Thank you!

2. Laura says:

Great presentation!
    Unfortunately, I’m getting a 404 error when accessing http://blogs.missouristate.edu/web/2010/10/12/maps-heweb10/

3. Pingback: #heweb10 – One Map to Rule Them All | .eduGuru

4. Pingback: Higher Ed Live – A Complete and Killer Review of HighEdWeb 2010

5. Philip says:

Hi Chad,

I was in this [fantastic] presentation at HighEdWeb 2010. I was interested in getting the source files for the template you’ve shared, but when I tried to download the htm file, it brings with it some clutter, because of how the js alters the page when it loads. I tried downloading with js turned off and that looked a little better, but some things still seemed a little off. Would you have a zip file of the source files we could download, or a suggestion of how to get the files cleanly?

Thanks!
    Philip

• The best way to download the template is to view the source of the page and do a “save as.” There are several related resources, but it’s meant to be a proof-of-concept anyway. There really isn’t a one stop way to download the whole template. I’d rather not repackage those files as the packages tend to get overlooked when updates are made to the template.

6. Matt says:

Hi Chad,

I attend your presentation at HigherEdWeb2010 and thought it was great.

You mentioned another presentation about bring the maps community together on campus? Or something like getting everyone to play together? Can you tell me where I can find that presentation or material?

cheers,
    matt

7. Hi Chad, as with every great inspiration I get at heweb it’s taken me a little while to get around to working on our campus map.  The roads on our campus are not shown on google maps.  I am curious about how you did the bike paths on your map.  Are they polylines or did you trace them as lines in google earth and loaded them via your kml file?  I want to replicate the non-clickable aspect of your bike paths for our roads.
    Thanks
    Tom

• You have a couple of options:

Best option – use Google’s newly released Map Maker tool to actually add the roads to Google’s base map. It might take a couple of weeks for them to show up, but that way you don’t have to maintain an overlay that is only used on your site.

Second option – use a separate KML file for the overlays. This is what our map uses currently while we wait for our bikepaths to be added to the base Google tiles.