Meal prep is one simple solution to eating healthier and dining out less often.
Allen, a registered dietitian, offers two tips to get started:
- Keep a running grocery list on your smartphone or a piece of paper. You’ll be ready to go when it’s time to head to the store.
- Use an app to order groceries if you have a smartphone. This saves time and prevents you from buying things you don’t need.
Make meal prep a breeze
According to Allen, one meal prep hack is to buy one set of groceries. Then use the items to make at least three different types of meals for the week.
“Make sure you buy plenty of vegetables,” Allen said. “They have a lot of vitamins, antioxidants and can be used in a variety of ways.”
For example, with groceries that include an assortment of vegetables, chicken breasts, rice and spices, you can prep these three meals ahead of time:
- A chicken, vegetable and rice soup in a crockpot
- A teriyaki chicken sheet pan dinner
- A seasoned chicken and vegetables foil pack meal
“By following this plan, you’ll be able to save time and money, and eat better,” Allen said.