Congratulations! You made it through your first Monday of college! As the first week of classes goes on, there are a few things you can do to help make the rest of semester easier on you.
Zoë’s Top Five First Week To-Do’s
- Take those syllabi from each class and write down each and every due date in your planner. Also put them in a safe place so that you can reference them later in the semester if needed.
- Introduce yourself to your instructors. Professors will announce their office hours as well as have them printed on the syllabus, so make sure to swing by so that they can get a face associated with your name.
- Start homework sooner rather than later. Even though some classes treat the first day as “syllabus day”, you will more than likely find that quite a few professors dive right in to material after covering the syllabus. Be sure to start your study habits early, whether it’s reviewing/rewriting notes, making flashcards or forming a study group.
- Plan out your eating schedule. Most college class schedules have a natural break in them that is conducive to grabbing a bite to eat. During this week, see when those breaks are and start getting into the habit of swinging by a dining center or the Plaster Student Union instead of taking a nap or watching Netflix.
- Start exploring your extracurriculars. You may have heard, college is more than just academics. It is likely that this first week will be semi-light on the academic side, giving you the opportunity to see what you want to do in your free time. Remember some of the booths you may have visited on Sunday during the New Student Festival or visit Campus Link (located on the Profile tab in your MyMissouriState) to explore the over 390 organizations here.
Ultimately, we all want you to have the best experience you can here at Missouri State. Don’t forget to go to class, use campus resources and take advantage of all the “FREE” (paid for by student fees) things provided throughout the year!