Thomas Johnson, Director of Safety and Transportation, recently shared the following tips to help students prevent bike theft. Share this great information with your student.
- Register your bike with the Missouri State University Department of Safety and Transportation. It’s free and easy to do. More information is available on the website at: http://www.missouristate.edu/safetran/transportation/7253.htm.
- Use a high quality lock – preferably one that is not easily compromised with bolt cutters.
- Lock your bike frame and wheel to fixed, approved bike racks.
- Don’t leave your bike in one spot for an extended period of time and remember where you locked it up.
- Lock your bike in a moderately busy area as opposed to an isolated spot. Try to balance protection and visibility.
- Keep a record of make, model, and serial numbers of your bike. Take a picture of your bike for your records.
To learn more about the Department of Safety and Transportation, read their recent newsletter here: http://www.missouristate.edu/assets/safetran/SafetyandTransportationnewsletter2final.pdf