Hello Bear Families,
With summer quickly approaching, now is the time for students to start thinking about summer session courses. Students have the option to either take summer courses online through Missouri State University or through another institution and transfer the credit back. When planning to take summer courses, it is important for students to work with their MSU academic advisor and the Office of Financial Aid to determine the most beneficial options.
- Online through Missouri State
- Students will need to review their Registration Status in the My.MissouriState portal to see when they can register for summer courses. The Registration Status page will also show if there are holds which would prevent registration. Students can contact their academic advisor if they have questions about the Registration Status page.
- Students should speak with their academic advisor about courses they are planning to take over the summer. Academic advisors will be able to verify recommended courses for the summer and discuss how summer courses will impact fall course options.
- There are many different opportunities and exceptions for receiving summer financial aid. Students are strongly encouraged to speak with the Financial Aid Office if they have questions or concerns about their financial aid package. The Financial Aid Office can be reached at FinancialAid@missouristate.edu or by phone at (417) 836-5262.
- After students have spoken with their academic advisor and reviewed their Registration Status, they are able to register for summer courses.
- Courses at another institution
- Students should speak with their MSU academic advisor regarding the most appropriate summer course(s) to take. The MSU advisor will be able to verify recommended course(s) for the summer session and discuss how the summer course(s) will impact fall MSU course registration options.
- Once courses are determined, students can review the MSU Transfer Equivalency Guide (https://mis.missouristate.edu/Student/transEquiv/transEquivSearch) to determine which course(s) at the other institution will transfer as the exact MSU equivalent course. The Transfer Equivalency Guide lists currently offered as well as previously offered courses at other institutions, so the student will need to verify current course offerings with the other institution. If the student has identified a course that is not listed on the Transfer Equivalency Guide, the student should reach out to Lori Day, MSU Admissions, to verify the MSU course equivalent: LoriDay@missouristate.edu.
- There are various opportunities and exceptions for receiving summer financial aid. Students are strongly encouraged to speak with the experts in the MSU Financial Aid Office regarding questions or concerns about their financial aid package and if/how it applies to the summer session at another institution. FinancialAid@missouristate.edu or (417) 836-5262.
- Once the student has applied to the other institution and registered for class(es), an official transcript needs to be sent to MSU Admissions so the course can be added to their MSU academic record. This is most important if the course is a prerequisite for an MSU course needed for Fall semester.
- After the summer semester has ended and final grades have been posted, the student must request the official transcript be sent to MSU Admissions.
- To be official, the transcript may be sent electronically through the National Student Clearinghouse or through regular mail directly from the other institution to MSU Admissions (901 S. National, Springfield, MO 65897). Currently, requesting through the National Student Clearinghouse is the preferred method.
- Grade(s) earned will transfer to MSU and be calculated into the student’s cumulative GPA. If the summer course transfers to MSU as an exact equivalent to a class the student has previously completed, the repeated grade replaces the original grade in GPA calculations.
Please encourage your student to reach out to their MSU academic advisor with questions they have regarding registration and the best options summer/fall courses. Together, students and advisors can make the most appropriate plan of action for summer and future MSU semesters. Should your student have any questions, the MSU Academic Advising and Transfer Center is happy to help!
Academic Advising and Transfer Center – UAdvise@MissouriState.edu