A Message from Theresa McCoy, Director of Computer Services:
UPDATE – Wednesday, May 2:
The issue with the hardware that hosts the Banner database has been fully resolved. All the data has been recovered and the core system has been verified to be functioning correctly. The Operational Data Store (ODS) which is used as the basis for many university reports, is still in the process of being recovered. This is a very large database and will take some time to complete. There are a few custom developed systems that are dependent on the ODS to operate, these systems will be brought back online as quickly as the restoration of the ODS is complete.
To reiterate – Banner INB, SSB and Administrative Banner 9 are all up and fully functional.
Our Computer Services staff will continue to work closely with the functional leads from the administrative and academic offices to identify and resolve any issues that are discovered tomorrow.
We recognize, and regret, the impact the systems’ outage today caused the university community.
Thank you all for your patience and support as our teams worked through this issue.
On Monday, April 30, IBM performed maintenance on the power supply unit in one of the disk drive controllers that hosts the Banner application software and database. Although the unit contains power supply redundancy so that the unit can be serviced without interruption, the failover function did not work as designed and the Banner system crashed. IBM and Computer Services IT staff had the system up within a few hours and the system performed normally throughout the rest of the day.
At approximately 7 p.m. on Monday, the same piece of hardware failed again, which caused the Banner system to crash again. Recovery of the system was facilitated again by IBM/Computer Services IT staff by resetting the unit to factory settings which allowed them to restore the configuration from a backup. The system has been brought up several times, but it repeatedly fails again.
IT Staff from Computer Services have worked through the night with IBM and Huber (the University’s hardware support vendors) to rectify the situation. IBM representatives are in route to campus with a replacement part and top-level support staff to resolve the issue.
We do not have a reliable estimate on what time to expect services to be restored but assure you that our teams are working as quickly as possible to get our administrative Banner system back online and available for use.
We will keep you posted as new information becomes available.
- Microsoft Audio Conferencing Now Available - March 18, 2020
- New Help Desk Service Portal - February 10, 2020
- Information Services Planned Upgrade Day Scheduled for January 2, 2019 - December 4, 2018
- Blackboard Upgrade: Wednesday, May 23 - May 22, 2018
- Information Services Planned Upgrades This Month - May 16, 2018
- ERP Banner System Service Outage - May 1, 2018
- Blackboard in the Cloud: Faculty Information Session - April 17, 2018
- Blackboard Learn Update: We’re Moving to the Cloud! - March 19, 2018
- #TipTuesday: Protect Yourself from Phishing Attempts - March 6, 2018
- Blackboard Black Belt Achievement Series: Training Schedule - February 21, 2018