CNAS STEM Career Expo is today! – 3:30-5:30 PM in the PSU Ballroom
The career expo in the PSU Ballroom is for all STEM CNAS students. First and second year students who are interested in learning about careers in STEM may attend to learn about options. Any student (undergraduate or graduate) who is interested in an internship or a job should bring a resume, as they will have an opportunity to speak directly with one of the 15 companies who will attend. Students who wish to participate must attend the full program from 3:30-5:30 p.m. During this time, students will learn about interview skills and other important information to prepare for an interview; career possibilities at the 15 companies; and finally students will practice their interview skills prior to meeting with each individual company. A flyer is attached so you can share it with your students. All CNAS faculty are also welcome to attend this event.
Can you think of a better way to spend a rainy day? This is an inside activity!
PLEASE VOTE ON TUESDAY!
I’LL BE OFF CAMPUS ON TUESDAY SO I HAVE ALREADY SUBMITTED MY BALLOT.
EVENTS on campus this week
- Public Affairs Convocation tonight Mon, Nov 5 at 7:00 p.m. in Juanita K
Fred Lajvardi will tell his story of hope and perseverance with disadvantaged students, and promote the public affairs theme, “Unity in Community.” He also promotes the importance of STEM education. Lajvardi is also an advocate for diversity in the classroom; he believes in helping every student achieve his or her full potential, no matter the circumstances. The event is FREE and open to the public.
MSU honors veterans this week. Sunday, November 11 is Veterans Day and we honor all those who served our country.
Seminars this week
All seminars are posted on the CNAS homepage.
- Mon, Nov 5 – CSC: Modeling and Simulation of High-Performance Computing Systems, by Assistant Professor Candidate Kishwar Ahmed, 3:30-4:30 PM, Cheek 151
- Wed, Nov 7 – CHM: Synthetic Biopolymers in Nanotechnology: A New Era of Targeted Drug Delivery and Cancer Therapy, by Santimukul Santra, 3:35-4:30 PM, LIBR 101
- Thu, Nov 8 – EGR: Engineers Without Borders (EWB) Meeting, led by Roddy Rogers, 12-1 PM, Plaster Center Downtown “Cox” Room 1st Floor
- Thu, Nov 8 – CSC: Evolving Effective Micro Behaviors in Real-Time Strategy Games, Assistant Professor Candidate Dr. Siming Liu, 12:00-1:00 PM, Cheek 151
- Fri, Nov 9 – BIO: Bioremediation of chlorinated solvents, Mark Krzmarzick, 4-5 PM, Temple 003
Geography Awareness Week Celebration Lectures – Nov 12-16, 2018
CNAS committee meetings
- College Council – Tu, Nov 6 at 3:30 p.m. in Temple 145
- Diversity Committee – Thu, Nov 8 at 9:00 a.m. in Temple 145
- Tiglet Besara publishes paper on metals research and magnetism of compounds.
- Paul Durham provides some insight to the link between nutrition and gut health.
- Paul Durham and CBLS team study Vagus Nerve Stimulation to treat pain and reduce dependence on opioids.
- William Brockmeier, PAMS major, spent internship this past summer at Northrop Grumman in Dulles, Virginia.
- Kyoungtae Kim and PSM students toured CoxHealth and Clinvest to learn about internship opportunities.
CNAS Awards Policy 2019
The CNAS awards policy has been finalized for 2019. All nominations are due April 5, 2019.
Associate Dean for Diversity, Workforce Development and Student Success (click for more info and to apply)
Professor Salary Incentive Program (PSIP) applications are due into the Dean’s Office in electronic format by Friday, December 14. Please visit the Office of the Provost website for more information on timeline, application process, and samples of components of past successful applications.
- Admin Professionals: Attend the Fall Forum Campus Updates on Wed, Nov 7 in PSU 313 from 11:30a-1p. FREE but registration is required.
- Students from UMKC School of Pharmacy at MSU placed second in National Community Pharmacy Association annual meeting last month.
- Undergraduates can submit research papers to LOGOS now through March 31, 2019.
- HR’s open enrollment for benefits is November 1 through December 1.
- Support our campus and community by donating to MSU Foundation and United Way.
- FREE screening of Wasted! The Story of Food Waste on Tu, Nov 13 at 6:30 PM, Springfield Art Museum
- America Recycles Day on Thu, Nov 15, 8 AM – 5 PM, free treats, swag and giveaways!
CALENDAR – 2018
Nov 5 CNAS STEM Career Expo
Nov 5-7 Missouri Mathematics and Science Coalition STEM Summit 2018 in KC
Nov 10 MAKO – Mathematics Undergraduate Research Day
Nov 16 Public Observing Night at Baker Observatory, 6-9 PM
Nov 21-25 Thanksgiving – No Classes/Offices Closed
Nov 25-27 ABET Visit for Computer Science
Dec 6 Last day of fall classes
Dec 7-13 Final exam period
Dec 14 Fall Commencement (CNAS is at 10 AM)
Thu, Dec 20 – Wed, Jan 2: Offices closed at MSU – Happy holidays!