College of Education College Council
November 6, 2018
3:00 p.m. – Hill Hall 231
Attendees: Rebecca Crowder (GLS) – Chair, Sabrina Brinson (CEFFS), Pamela Correll (RFT), Paris DePaepe (CLSE), Sharon Lopinot
Guest: Denise Cunningham
Becky Crowder, Chair, welcomed everyone and called the meeting to order. There were no minutes from October due to no curricular proposals submitted for review.
Regarding the action items, all curricular proposals were discussed prior to voting. Denise Cunningham, CEFS Department Head, came to give some clarity on the new interdisciplinary program proposal, which was approved with a condition (see proposal below).
Counseling, Leadership and Special Education
– SPE340 Educational Alternative for Exceptional Students – Approved
– SPE497 Practicum: K-12 Cross-Categorical Special Education – Approved
Reading, Foundations, and Technology
– RDG565 Cultural Diversity in Literacy and Instruction: Classrooms and Community – Approved
– RDG580 Successful Classroom Communities to Enhance Student Learning – Approved
– RDG585 Techniques of Responsive Support in the Literacy Classroom – Approved
Childhood Education and Family Studies
– Elementary Education-BSED (Springfield, MO) – Approved
Counseling, Leadership and Special Education – Approved
– Special Education/Cross Categorical BSED – Approved
New Interdisciplinary Program Proposal Form
Sociology & Anthropology, Criminology & Criminal Justice, Childhood Ed & Family Studies
– Family and Juvenile Support Services – Approved, based on the council’s understanding that a sociology class is going through the college council approval system at the same time and is approved by the other two departments involved in the program.
Becky will email Rachel Swofford, student representative from last year, to see if she would like to continue this year.
January 15, 2019
Submitted by Sharon Lopinot, Executive Assistant II