COE BUDGET COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES
November 1, 2019
8:00 – 9:00 a.m.
Attendees: Kim Dubree, David Hough, Denise Cunningham, Cathy Pearman, Minor Baker, Melissa Schotthofer, Jill Martin, Abby Birch, James Satterfield, Joe Hulgus, Barri Tinkler, Stephanie Huffman, Bill Agnew, Steve Jones and Rose Lee
Dean Hough shared the list of funding priorities developed by the Faculty Advisory Committee. Discussion focused on items 3 – 15.
Dr. Denise Cunningham proposed to establish a “Research Institute.” She suggested that faculty bundle travel with research presentations another other activities associated with support of research. This would be where faculty could come together to work on research proposals and discuss collaborative project.
Dr. James Satterfield suggested we choose one organization that everyone fits into and focus on that area such. He noted that the American Educational Research Association (AERA) could serve as the “umbrella” organization to achieve this goal.
Dean Hough suggested that any support for AERA be “above and beyond” what is already provide via departmental and college travel funding. He also stated that more and more faculty are presenting at AERA, as several travel to Toronto, Canada, last year and perhaps as many as 8 or 9 faculty are planning to present to AERA in San Francisco this spring. Dean Hough would be willing to search for additional funds to help support these faculty and host a reception at AERA if the faculty support the idea.
Several BC members provided examples of activities a COE Research Institute could provide. Among these could be assistance with the development of AERA proposals. In terms of “timing” the group discussed using one time salary savings to jumpstart a Research Institute, but ongoing funding would need to come from indirect recovery through grants and contracts. Dr. Satterfield suggested the RI become self-sustaining in 3-5 years.
Dr. Agnew and others voiced support for a Research Institute Director’s position to be established. The prevailing thought was that an Institute of this nature could not be successful unless a Director and team of assistants were in place to manage the work. Dr. Stephanie Huffman voiced support for this idea as did Dr. Steve Jones and Dr. Cathy Pearman.
Dean Hough volunteered to work with Dr. Cunningham to draft a proposal to establish a “Research Institute “ and present it to the BC and then to the FAC at some point in the future. If faculty agree this would be a good idea, it will be considered along with other funding priorities.
Emmett Sawyer and Judy Gregg (after CAEP) will work with the Marketing Department at the University to ensure all print and web materials comply with University policy. The goal is that every program/department will have marketing items that are MSU approved by the end of the spring 2020 semester. Dr. Tinkler will manage this after the CAEP site team process is finalized.
Next meeting will be held on December 6th, 2019.
Meeting adjourned at 9:00 am