College of Education
Faculty Advisory Council
April 9, 2020
8:00 – 9:00 am
Attendees: David Hough, Leslie Anderson, Jamie Atkinson, Sarah Baker, Megan Boyle, Pam Correll, Kayla Lewis, Sarah Nixon, Kim Roam, Barri Tinkler, Jennice McCafferty-Wright, Sharon Lopinot
Dean Hough welcomed everyone to the meeting and asked how they were adjusting. Most responded that they and their students are doing well. There are occasional WIFI issues. If students need to buy a hotspot they need to let Sharon or Rose know. The college will cover the expenses. Also, the university is posting a Power Point regarding ZOOM bombs. The counseling students are providing teletherapy. Jennice is holding a weekly world education chat on Wednesdays with Egypt, Morocco, Kosovo, and other countries. The students are building unique connections.
All indications are that this situation might get better by summer and we will be back for the Fall semester in some capacity. The university will release a communique detailing the budget situation as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Discussions regarding the internet incentive for summer are underway, and the University will release a statement soon regarding this. COE can use one-time salary savings to cover some shortages but not all.
The deans and administrative council are working on various plans regarding contingencies for fall classes. All are hoping for the best while planning for any scenario that might occur. The university has started a phone bank to have conversations with our students. Bear Partnership has been canceled for this summer. There were going to be approximately 50 students attending. June SOAR is canceled. July SOAR may be virtual. The Dean asked members what can we do to recruit students and what do we do if we have to cut personnel.
Suggestions for recruitment:
- Students are our best tool for keeping students together and in school
- Soft skills: maintain relationships
- Lead publicly, parents are stressed out
- Propose using PBS, have a panel of various people in the college, parents can call in with questions
- Provide reassurance
- Program coordinators could record short videos, and what you can do with various degrees
- Recommend virtual tour of campus
- Be available to answer questions
- Promote MATL and certificates
- Online panel discussion with university experts, how to pay for college, how to finance your education
- Use our students for recruitment, undergrad and graduate level
- Virtual Teacher Appreciation Week videos
- Contact and send information on students in our various programs (Juli will send information to all department heads who can forward it to program coordinators.)
- TikTok: Juli is working with a group to start making TicTok videos to promote us. They are trying to recruit alums to join the Bears in Every Building initiative who would then promote our college to their students.
- Ashley Flores who was recruiting students in Mobile had an information card showing potential students how they could save money at our university. This could be done for all students.
Dean Hough asked everyone to go back to their faculty and share this information. They should also solicit more information and send it to the Dean and Barri by the end of May.
Meeting adjourned at 8:57 am
Submitted by Sharon Lopinot, Executive Asst. II