Life changes fast. That is why we want you to apply for a Special Circumstance.
Special Circumstance is a process through which your FAFSA, which is based on old financial information, is updated to reflect your family’s current financial situation. A Special Circumstance can help you pay for college by changing the types or amounts of financial aid you receive.
Only financial aid staff can update your FAFSA, so an application is needed. The process starts with you:
- Review our Special Circumstance Guidelines and see if any of the options apply to you.
- If they do, collect the documents listed on the application for each situation. It is usually better to be brief. A staff member will reach out if they have questions about the information you send with your application.
- Complete and return the Dependent or Independent Special Circumstance application, along with those documents. Applications and questions about the process can be emailed to FinancialAid@Missouristate.edu
A committee will review your application, and if a change can be made that will increase your federal or state financial aid then they will make the change for you. If no changes can be made which would benefit you, then the committee will end the review without taking further action. Either way, you will be informed of the committee’s decision.
Some tips for success when submitting a Special Circumstance:
- Make sure that you should submit a special circumstance. If your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is already $0 or your income went up after 2020, you probably should not submit a special circumstance. Similarly, if your EFC is more than your college expenses and your income only changed a little bit, a special circumstance may not be necessary.
- Be brief. A lot of information that you might think is important isn’t needed. The committee will let you know if they have questions about your application.
- Check your student email account. You don’t want to miss an important email or question from the review committee.
Have questions? Feel welcome to schedule a meeting with one of our knowledgeable counselors.