Graduate College Showcase
This campus-wide recruiting event is today from 3:00 – 7:00. Please plan to stop by after the Graduate Council meeting.
Program Directors Meeting
The Graduate Coordinators meeting on October 19 was attended by 35 – 40 coordinators. The items of discussion included Results and Analysis of Graduate Coordinators Survey of Most Pressing Issues in their Programs, National Survey of Graduate Deans about Most Pressing Issues, Graduate College Budget, Help with Brochure Development, GRE Scores, and Q/A. The next two meetings will be on February 15, 2012 and April 18, 2012. The items on the agenda will include: Low-Completer Programs; Accelerated Programs; Graduate Student Workshops for Professional Development; Assessment and Student Learning Goals.
Program Brochures Development
Please remember that the Graduate College is offering $400 to any graduate programs on campus to have their brochure updated.
Open Staff Positions in the Graduate College
The search for the Coordinator of Recruitment position has been initiated. The search for the newly created Coordinator of Admissions position is also starting. Tom Tomasi is chairing both of these search committees.
Applications for Graduation
Students planning to graduate this semester should apply for graduation ASAP. The application is available at https://www.missouristate.edu/secure/graduate/onlinegradapp.htm.
- Joe Lemen received the award of “Best Student Presentation by a Master’s Student” at the Central Plains Society of Mammalogists meeting for his talk on maximum entropy modeling of habitat for Indiana bat maternity roosts.
- Denies Thompson won the Toland Award for Best Student Presentation at the recent Kansas Herpetological Society’s annual conference in Wichita for her presentation “Rocky Raccoon Must Die: Nest Predation Patterns in a Reintroduced Population of Alligator Snapping Turtles”.
- Graduate students, T. Anthony and C. Tucker also made presentations at the Kansas Herpetological Socity’s annual conference in Wichita.
Important Faculty related funding deadlines
Guidelines and applications can be found at http://graduate.missouristate.edu under “Faculty & Staff” – “Sources of Faculty Support”
- Faculty Research Grants: 28 proposals were submitted and are currently being reviewed by the Committee.
- Summer Fellowships: 23 proposals were submitted to the Graduate College.
Important Student related funding deadlines
All guidelines and applications are on the Graduate College website.
- Thesis Funding: SP12 deadline is February 17. Information can be found at http://graduate.missouristate.edu/thesis_information.htm.
- DUE NOW – – applications for FA11 graduation.
- November 28, 2011 – – Deadline for submission of a Thesis to the Graduate College.
- November 28, 2011 – – Deadline for submission of Seminar Report Form to Grad College.
- December 8, 2011 – – Deadline for submission of Comprehensive Exam Result Form to the Graduate College.
- December 16, 2011 – – Commencement (12:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.).
- 12:30 PM Ceremony: COAL, CHHS, CHPA, CNAS and Darr School of Agriculture
- 4:00 PM Ceremony: COBA, COED
Graduate Interdisciplinary Forum
The date for the 2012 will Saturday, April 14th. For pictures and information from the 2011 Forum, please see http://graduate.missouristate.edu/IDF.htm.
Graduate Student Workshops
Please RSVP at http://graduate.missouristate.edu/GradStudentWorkshops.htm
- Human Subjects in Research: What Do You Need to Know? Wednesday, November 9, 3:00 – 4:00 pm., PSU 315AB. Speaker: Dr. Joseph Hulgus, Chair of Human Subjects Institutional Review Board. For all students who plan to use human subjects in research, this session will provide pertinent information on university policies and procedures required for the use of humans in all types of research (experimental, survey, etc.).
- Animal Care and Use. Thursday, November 10, 3:00 – 4:00 pm., PSU 315AB. Speaker: Dr. Brian Greene, Vice Chair – Institutional Animal Care and Use Committees (IACUC). For all students who plan to use animals in their research, this session will provide guidance on current standards for the handling and care of animals, as well as policies regarding biohazardous waste disposal.