Spring Graduate Student Orientation
The Spring Graduate Student Orientation was held on Friday, January 13 with approximately 40 students in attendance.
- DUE NOW – – applications for SP12 graduation.
- April 23, 2012 – – Deadline for submission of a Thesis to the Graduate College.
- April 23, 2012 – – Deadline for submission of Seminar Report Form to Grad College (for programs
- May 10, 2012 – – Deadline for submission of Comprehensive Exam Result Form to the Graduate College.
- May 18, 2012 – – Commencement (10:00 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.).
- 10:00 a.m. ceremony: COAL, COED, CHPA
- 1:30 p.m. ceremony: CHHS, CNAS, Darr School of Agriculture
- 5:00 p.m. ceremony: COBA
Missouri Graduate Deans Association
The Missouri Graduate Deans Association will be meeting at MSU on Friday, February 3. Representatives from 13 Missouri universities will be represented.
Program Brochures Development
Please remember that the Graduate College is still offering $400 to any graduate programs on campus to have their brochure updated. In addition, the Graduate College can help in the designing of these brochures. A template has been developed to assist departments with the design of the brochures.
Open Staff Positions in the Graduate College
Applicants for the Coordinator of Recruitment position are being reviewed by the committee now and interviews will begin soon. The search for the newly created Coordinator of Admissions position will be posted soon. Tom Tomasi is chairing both of these search committees.
Program Directors Meeting
The two meetings will be on February 15, 2012 and April 18, 2012. Each meeting will be at 3:30 p.m. in Karl’s Hall, Room 236. The items on the agenda will include: Low-Completer Programs; Online Graduate Programs; International Student admissions; Accelerated Programs; Graduate Student Workshops for Professional Development; Assessment and Student Learning Goals.
Important Faculty related funding deadlines
Guidelines and applications can be found at http://graduate.missouristate.edu under “Faculty & Staff” – “Sources of Faculty Support”
- Faculty Research Grants: There will be a second round of grant proposals. The deadline is Monday, February 27.
- Summer Fellowships: 23 proposals were submitted to the Graduate College and will be discussed by the committee later this month.
Important Student related funding deadlines
All guidelines and applications are on the Graduate College website.
- Thesis Funding: SP12 deadline is February 17. Information can be found at http://graduate.missouristate.edu/thesis_information.htm.
Graduate Interdisciplinary Forum
The date for the 2012 will be Saturday, April 14th. For pictures and information from the 2011 Forum, please see http://graduate.missouristate.edu/IDF.htm.
Graduate Student Workshops
Please RSVP at http://graduate.missouristate.edu/GradStudentWorkshops.htm
- Thesis Writing 101? Tuesday, January 24, 3:30 p.m. – 4:45 p.m., PSU 315C. Speaker: Tom Tomasi, Associate Dean of the Graduate College and Biology Professor. This session will focus on research requirements of the Graduate College, specifically dealing with formatting requirements for writing a thesis. The session will include hints on how to avoid some of the common pitfalls in thesis writing.
- How to Write an Abstract. Tuesday, February 21, 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m., PSU 315C. Speaker: Tom Tomasi, Associate Dean of the Graduate College and Biology Professor. This session will include suggestions on how to write an abstract. This session is intended to assist students as they prepare abstracts for their theses and for the Graduate Interdisciplinary Forum, which will be held April 2, 2011.
- Presentation Pointers: Oral and Poster Presentation Success. Thursday, March 29, 3:30 p.m. – 4:45 p.m., PSU 315. Speaker: Tom Tomasi, Associate Dean of the Graduate College and Biology Professor. This session will include suggestions and examples of successful presentation techniques for both oral and poster presenters. This session is intended to assist students as they prepare for the Graduate Interdisciplinary Forum which will be held April 14, 2012.