Graduate Assistant Awards
Awards are given every spring for outstanding Graduate Assistants, in the categories of Teaching, Research, and Administrative GA’s. Information can be found at http://graduate.missouristate.edu/GraduateAssistantAwards.htm.
Graduate Interdisciplinary Forum
The date for the 2012 will be Saturday, April 14th. The deadline for submitting abstracts is NOON on Monday, March 26. Student and faculty volunteers will be needed to judge and to assist with timing and introductions and also with tearing down the poster boards. Information can be found at http://graduate.missouristate.edu/IDF.htm.
Program Directors Meeting
The two meetings will be on February 15, 2012 and April 18, 2012. Each meeting will be at 3:30 p.m. in Karl’s Hall, Room 236. The items on the agenda will include: Low-Completer Programs; Online Graduate Programs; International Student admissions; Accelerated Programs; Graduate Student Workshops for Professional Development; Assessment and Student Learning Goals.
- DUE NOW – – applications for SP12 graduation.
- April 23, 2012 – – Deadline for submission of a Thesis to the Graduate College.
- April 23, 2012 – – Deadline for submission of Seminar Report Form to Grad College (for programs
- May 10, 2012 – – Deadline for submission of Comprehensive Exam Result Form to the Graduate College.
- May 18, 2012 – – Commencement (10:00 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.).
- 10:00 a.m. ceremony: COAL, COED, CHPA
- 1:30 p.m. ceremony: CHHS, CNAS, Darr School of Agriculture
- 5:00 p.m. ceremony: COBA
Program Brochures Development
Please remember that the Graduate College is still offering $400 to any graduate programs on campus to have their brochure updated. In addition, the Graduate College can help in the designing of these brochures. A template has been developed to assist departments with the design of the brochures.
- Biology. Ruth Seeliger was recently awarded an $1800 grant from the National Speleology Society to purchase an infrared Thermal Imaging Video Camera for her thesis project. This special camera is used to estimate the number of gray bats hibernating in caves. Ms. Seeliger was also a former Boritzki Scholarship winner.
Open Staff Positions in the Graduate College
Phone interviews are being scheduled for the top candidates to narrow the pool for the candidates that will be invited to campus for interviews.
Important Faculty related funding deadlines
Guidelines and applications can be found at http://graduate.missouristate.edu under “Faculty & Staff” – “Sources of Faculty Support”
- Faculty Research Grants: The SP12 deadline is Monday, February 27.
- Summer Fellowships: 17 Summer Fellowship Applications were funded.
Important Student related funding deadlines
All guidelines and applications are on the Graduate College website.
- Thesis Funding: SP12 deadline is February 17. Information can be found at http://graduate.missouristate.edu/thesis_information.htm.
Graduate Student Council
The Graduate Student Council will meet on February 10. Please continue to encourage your students to attend the meetings and get involved.
Graduate Student Workshops
Please RSVP at http://graduate.missouristate.edu/GradStudentWorkshops.htm
- Thesis Writing 101? 18 students attended this workshop on January 24.
- How to Write an Abstract. Tuesday, February 21, 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m., PSU 315C. Speaker: Tom Tomasi, Associate Dean of the Graduate College and Biology Professor. This session will include suggestions on how to write an abstract. This session is intended to assist students as they prepare abstracts for their theses and for the Graduate Interdisciplinary Forum, which will be held April 2, 2011.
- Presentation Pointers: Oral and Poster Presentation Success. Thursday, March 29, 3:30 p.m. – 4:45 p.m., PSU 315. Speaker: Tom Tomasi, Associate Dean of the Graduate College and Biology Professor. This session will include suggestions and examples of successful presentation techniques for both oral and poster presenters. This session is intended to assist students as they prepare for the Graduate Interdisciplinary Forum which will be held April 14, 2012.