Graduate Assistant Awards
Awards are given every spring for outstanding Graduate Assistants, in the categories of Teaching, Research, and Administrative GA’s. Nominations have been submitted and applications are being reviewed. Award will be made at the IDF.
Graduate Interdisciplinary Forum
The date for the 2012 will be Saturday, April 14th. The deadline for submitting abstracts is NOON on Monday, March 26. Student and faculty volunteers will be needed to judge and to assist with timing and introductions and also with tearing down the poster boards. Information can be found at http://graduate.missouristate.edu/IDF.htm.
The new Recruitment Coordinator is Misty Stewart. She will start in this position on March 19.
Student Graduate Senate
Graduate Student Council is working on amending their Constitution so that they can put in place a Graduate Student Senate (instead of council) which will comprise of two representatives from each of the graduate programs offered at Missouri State University.
Program Coordinators Meeting
The Program Directors will meet on April 18, 2012 at 3:30 p.m. in Karl’s Hall, Room 236. The items on the agenda will include: Online Graduate Programs, Graduate Student Workshops for Professional Development, Assessment and Student Learning Goals, Comprehensive Examinations.
- DUE NOW – – applications for SP12 graduation.
- April 23, 2012 – – Deadline for submission of a Thesis to the Graduate College.
- April 23, 2012 – – Deadline for submission of Seminar Report Form to Grad College (for programs
- May 10, 2012 – – Deadline for submission of Comprehensive Exam Result Form to the Grad. College.
- May 18, 2012 – – Commencement (10:00 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.).
- 10:00 a.m. ceremony: COAL, COED, CHPA
- 1:30 p.m. ceremony: CHHS, CNAS, Darr School of Agriculture
- 5:00 p.m. ceremony: COBA
Program Brochures Development
Please remember that the Graduate College is still offering $400 to any graduate programs on campus to have their brochure updated. In addition, the Graduate College can help in the designing of these brochures. A template has been developed to assist departments with the design of the brochures.
- MNAS. MNAS, Biology student Charlie Tucker was featured in an article published in the News Leader on March 5.
- BIO. Ruth Seeliger received an $1800 grant from the National Speleological Society for her research on gray bats in Missouri.
- GGP. Andrew DeWitt’s poster was recently selected as best student presentation by the Missouri Chapter of the American Fisheries Society at the MO Natural Resource Conference in February.
- CRM. Stacie Hammer was spotlighted by the MSU Board of Governors during the February meeting. Ms. Hammer has been involved in national-level evaluation of Evening Reporting Centers for high-risk youth.
Important Faculty related funding deadlines
Guidelines and applications can be found at http://graduate.missouristate.edu under “Faculty & Staff” – “Sources of Faculty Support”
- Faculty Research Grants: 18 proposals were received and are being reviewed by the committee.
Graduate Student Workshops
Please RSVP at http://graduate.missouristate.edu/GradStudentWorkshops.htm
- Presentation Pointers: Oral and Poster Presentation Success. Thursday, March 29, 3:30 p.m. – 4:45 p.m., PSU 315. Speaker: Tom Tomasi, Associate Dean of the Graduate College and Biology Professor. This session will include suggestions and examples of successful presentation techniques for both oral and poster presenters. This session is intended to assist students as they prepare for the Graduate Interdisciplinary Forum which will be held April 14, 2012.