Graduate Interdisciplinary Forum
The date for the 2012 Forum will be Saturday, April 14th at 8:00 a.m. – 2:45 p.m. Information can be found at http://graduate.missouristate.edu/IDF.htm. The IDF video podcast is now posted at: http://news.missouristate.edu/2012/04/02/idf/. Links to this video will also go out on the MSU Twitter account.
Graduate Education Week
April 23-28, 2012 is the Graduate Education Week in Missouri. Graduate Education Week is an opportunity for us to shape a multi-faceted statewide public awareness campaign. Please host at least one event in April and publicize it widely. We are a participating university and have posted information at www.gradedweek.org.
Lunch with Graduate Award Winners
Outstanding faculty mentor; outstanding GA award winners in teaching , research, and administrative; Outstanding thesis award winner; and faculty advisors of the IDF will be invited to lunch with President Smart and Provost Einhellig on April 24. Chartwells will co-sponsor this event.
Missouri Capitol Trip
Kelly Green and James Berglund will be representing the Graduate College display at the MO Capitol on April 5.
Program Coordinators Meeting
The Program Directors will meet on April 18, 2012 at 3:30 p.m. in Karl’s Hall, Room 236. The items on the agenda will include: Meet our new Recruitment Coordinator, Interdisciplinary Research Forum, Online Graduate Programs, Graduate Student Workshops for Professional Development, Assessment and Student Learning Goals, Comprehensive Examinations.
Faculty Research Grants
For the second round of FRG, 18 proposals were received requesting $108,745. With the remaining budget, 11 proposals were funded totaling $64,017.
- DUE NOW – – applications for SP12 graduation. Note that students who apply now will not be included in the Commencement program.
- April 23, 2012 – – Deadline for submission of a Thesis to the Graduate College.
- April 23, 2012 – – Deadline for submission of Seminar Report Form to Grad College (for programs
- May 10, 2012 – – Deadline for submission of Comprehensive Exam Result Form to the Grad. College.
- May 18, 2012 – – Commencement (10:00 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.).
- 10:00 a.m. ceremony: COAL, COED, CHPA
- 1:30 p.m. ceremony: CHHS, CNAS, Darr School of Agriculture
- 5:00 p.m. ceremony: COBA
- Biology. Dr. Lynn Robbins and several BIO graduate students were featured in a cover story in the News Leader (Concern rises over deadly fungus in bats) in the March 28 issue.
- Communication. Shireen Bedi and Erin Wehrman’s paper was named the Top Debut Paper in the Health Communication Division at this year’s Central States Communication Association annual conference in April. They competed against student and faculty papers in the division.
- Communication. Jinghua (Jane) Bi’s paper was named one of the Past Officers’ Top Debut Papers (Student and Faculty) at this year’s Central States Communication Association annual conference in April. This is a competition between all top debut papers (students and faculty) in the entire conference and only four papers are chosen each year.
- Literacy. Sarah Hammer, graduate assistant for the Literacy Faculty in the College of Education, recently received the honor of being hired in the Teach for America program in Minneapolis, MN. This program works to close the achievement gap in schools. Teach for America takes individuals who have shown strong leadership potential, high educational standards for themselves, along with other qualities that the staff have found in the top teachers in the nation, and places them in low income districts to teach students of all grade levels.