Applications for Graduation
Important Faculty related funding deadlines
Guidelines and applications can be found at the Graduate College website under “Faculty & Staff” – “Internal Support for Faculty Research”.
- Faculty Research Grants: Proposals due in the Graduate College on Friday, November 2, 2012. Information and guidelines can be found at http://graduate.missouristate.edu/facultysupport.htm
- Summer Fellowships: Proposals due in the Graduate College on September 24, 2012. Information and guidelines can be found at http://graduate.missouristate.edu/facultysupport.htm.
Important Student related funding deadlines
All guidelines and applications are on the Grad. College website.
- Aileen and Keith Ford Endowed Scholarship: October 1, 2012. Student must apply online through the Financial Aid Office (information at http://www.missouristate.edu/FinancialAid/scholarships/default.asp.
- Basil and JoAnn Boritzki scholarship: October 1, 2012. Student must apply online through the Financial Aid Office (information at http://www.missouristate.edu/FinancialAid/scholarships/default.asp.
- MSU Distinguished Thesis Award: October 1, 2012. Information can be found at http://graduate.missouristate.edu/thesisaward.htm.
- Thesis Funding: FA12 deadline – October 5, 2012; SP13 deadline – tba. Information can be found at http://graduate.missouristate.edu/thesis_information.htm.
Upcoming Recruitment Trips
Please contact Misty Stewart (66079) if you are interested in attending.
- MSU Career Fair – Sept. 25
- MSSU – Sept. 26
- SLU – Sept. 26
- SIU – Edwardsville – Oct. 3
- Univ. of Central MO – Oct. 3
- U of AR – Fayetteville – Oct. 4
- Northwest MO State – Oct. 9
- OK State Univ. – Tulsa – Oct. 11
- Mercy Employee Benefits Fair – Oct. 24
- Truman State – Oct. 24
- Mercy Employee Benefits Fair – Oct. 25
- College of the Ozarks – Oct. 25
- Univ. of OK – Oct. 30
- OK Baptist Univ. – Oct. 31
- Pittsburg State – Nov. 6
- Univ. of Central AR – Nov. 7
MSU Fall Graduate Showcase
November 14, 2012, 3:00 – 7:00 pm, PSU West Ballroom and PSU 315AB.
Every program is expected to have a display table with faculty present to discuss their programs and answer questions. 315AB will have rotating information sessions on GRE/GMAT test prep, financial aid, graduate assistantships and alumni success stories. Campus tours will also be available for out-of-town guests. If you would like postcards to hand out to upper-level undergraduate students in your department, contact Misty at (MistyStewart@missouristate.edu).
Graduate College Fellow
Deanne Camp has been named the Graduate College Fellow for the 2012-13 year. Dr. Camp is currently focusing on new graduate programs.
GA/RA/TA evaluation/feedback forms
Kelly Cara, Assessment Research Coordinator, has developed generic forms that departments and offices can use at the end of the semester to get evaluation and feedback from their GA/TA/RA. If you are interested in obtaining these forms, please contact Valerie Murphy in the Graduate College.
Graduate College Orientation
The Orientations for Fall 2012 were held for all new graduate student on August 13 (276 in attendance) and for all new teaching assistants on August 14 (108 in attendance). Thank you to all those who were involved with the presentations as well as those who encouraged students to attend. Information from the event is now available on-line (i.e. PowerPoint presentation materials) at http://graduate.missouristate.edu/Orientations.htm.
Graduate Student Senate
The Cabinet 2012-2013 include: Co-Presidents: Echarial Gaines and Michael Patton; Vice President of Communication: Bryan Hunter; Vice President of Programming: Matt Kimberlin; and Vice President of Finance: Rachel Pellham. The next meeting of the Senate will be September 25 from 3:30 – 5:00. Tentative room is Carrington Auditorium. Final information will be available on website.
- Religious Studies. Linda Covey (SP11 graduate and winner of the 2011 MSU Distinguished Thesis Award) received the 2012 Award and $500 for Distinguished Scholarship in the Graduate Thesis Category. This award was given by the Executive Committee of the Association for Bahá’í Studies-North America.
- History. Jacob Singleton (current MA, History graduate student) has been awarded a US Student Fulbright Award for 2012-2013.
- DUE NOW – – applications for FA12 graduation.
- November 26, 2012 – – Deadline for submission of a Thesis to the Graduate College.
- November 26, 2012 – – Deadline for submission of Seminar Report Form to Grad College (for programs requiring form).
- December 6, 2012 – – Deadline for submission of Comprehensive Exam Result Form to the Graduate College.
- December 14, 2011 – – Commencement (12:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.).
- 12:30 PM Ceremony: COB and COE
- 4:00 PM Ceremony: COAL, CHHS, CHPA, CNAS and Darr School of Agriculture
Graduate Interdisciplinary Forum
The date for the 2013 will Saturday, April 27, 2013. For pictures and information from the 2012 Forum, please see http://graduate.missouristate.edu/IDF.htm.
Graduate Student Workshops
Please RSVP at http://graduate.missouristate.edu/GradStudentWorkshops.htm
- Library Research. Tuesday, September 11, 4:00 -5:30 pm, Meyer Library, room 106. Speakers: Crystal Gale, Library Administration. Learn how to make the best use of Meyer’s catalogs and databases, and how to obtain or access those materials and resources not available on the Missouri State campus. We will provide an overview of library resources and services.
- Library Research – International Students. Wednesday, September 12, 4:00 -5:30 pm, Meyer Library, room 106. Speakers: Crystal Gale, Library Administration. Learn how to make the best use of Meyer’s catalogs and databases, and how to obtain or access those materials and resources not available on the Missouri State campus. This version will be oriented specifically toward International students.
- Career Search. Tuesday, October 16, 4:00 – 5:00 pm., PSU 317A. Speakers: Professional Staff from the Career Center. This presentation will include discussion on methods of searching for and finding the right career for you after graduation.
- Human Subjects in Research: What Do You Need to Know? Tuesday, November 6, 4:00 – 5:00 pm., PSU 317A. Speaker: Dr. Joseph Hulgus, Chair of Human Subjects Institutional Review Board. For all students who plan to use human subjects in research, this session will provide pertinent information on university policies and procedures required for the use of humans in all types of research (experimental, survey, etc.).
- Animal Care and Use. Wednesday, November 7, 4:00 – 5:00 pm., PSU 317A. Speaker: Dr. Brian Greene, Vice Chair – Institutional Animal Care and Use Committees (IACUC). For all students who plan to use animals in their research, this session will provide guidance on current standards for the handling and care of animals, as well as policies regarding biohazardous waste disposal.
- Thesis Writing 101. Thursday, January 24, 2013, 4:00 to 5:00 pm., PSU 317A. Speaker: Tom Tomasi, Associate Dean of the Graduate College and Biology Professor. This session will focus on research requirements of the Graduate College, specifically dealing with formatting requirements for writing a thesis. The session will include hints on how to avoid some of the common pitfalls in thesis writing.
- How to Write an Abstract. Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 4:00 – 5:00 pm., PSU 317A. Speaker: Tom Tomasi, Associate Dean of the Graduate College and Biology Professor. This session will include suggestions on how to write an abstract. This session is intended to assist students as they prepare abstracts for their theses and for the Graduate Interdisciplinary Forum, which will be held April 27, 2013
- Presentation Pointers: Oral and Poster Presentation Success. Tuesday, April 16, 2013, 4:00 – 5:00 pm., PSU 317A. Speaker: Tom Tomasi, Associate Dean of the Graduate College and Biology Professor. This session will include suggestions and examples of successful presentation techniques for both oral and poster presenters. This session is intended to assist students as they prepare for the Graduate Interdisciplinary Forum which will be held April 27, 2013.