Important Faculty related funding deadlines
- Faculty Research Grants: Proposals were due on November 2, 2012. The committee will evaluate proposals and meet later in the semester.
- Summer Fellowships: Proposals are being evaluated by the committee.
- DUE NOW – – applications for FA12 graduation.
- November 26, 2012 – – Deadline for submission of a Thesis to the Graduate College.
- November 26, 2012 – – Deadline for submission of Seminar Report Form to Grad College (for programs requiring form).
- December 6, 2012 – – Deadline for submission of Comprehensive Exam Result Form to the Graduate College.
- December 14, 2011 – – Commencement (12:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.).
- 12:30 PM Ceremony: COB and COE
- 4:00 PM Ceremony: COAL, CHHS, CHPA, CNAS and Darr School of Agriculture
Important Student related funding deadlines
All guidelines and applications are on the Grad. College website.
- Thesis Funding: SP13 deadline – tba. Information at http://graduate.missouristate.edu/thesis_information.htm.
New Graduate Student Orientation
Spring. Friday, January 11, 2013, 12:30 – 5:00 pm, PSU, Room 313.
All new graduate students are invited to attend the Spring Orientation. Information can be found at http://graduate.missouristate.edu/92424.htm.
Graduate Recruitment Grants
The Graduate College is initiating a mini-grant program that will fund graduate programs with innovative plans for a recruitment activity. A 10% match is required, and the application deadline is December 17. See flyer for more information, and watch for copies of the application form (Word Document).
Teaching Assistant Award
The Graduate College is pleased to announce a new award for an outstanding TA. The winner of this annual award will be the nominee from this university for the equivalent award from MAGS (Midwestern Association of Graduate Schools). The application deadline will likely be at the end of this semester, so start thinking about your best TAs and watch for more details.
- MPH. Effective October 13, 2012, the MPH Program received accreditation by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
- MS., Biology. Risa Wright received the Titley Scientific Award. The award was given at the 42nd North American Symposium on Bat Research in Puerto Rico for a platform paper on any aspect of the biology of bats, with preference given to novel applications or development of technology.
- MS., Plant Science. Three graduate students recently received a grant of around $6,000 each from NSF-Grape Research Coordination Network for getting trained in grapevine genomics and genetics in another institution. The students were 1) Daniel Pap, Advisor Dr. Kovacs, studied at St. Louis University; 2) Surya Sapkota, Advisor Dr. Hwang, studied at USDA-ARS at Geneva, NY; and 3) Hui Ge, Advisor Dr. Qiu, studied at Danforth Plant Science Center at St. Louis.
Graduate Student Senate
The November meeting is scheduled for November 27th at 3:30 in the Carrington Auditorium. Each graduate program can have two senators, but currently 30 degree programs do not have representation. Please identify senators from your programs and submit the names to the Graduate College (email@example.com)
Graduate Interdisciplinary Forum
The date for the 2013 will Saturday, April 27, 2013. For pictures and information from the 2012 Forum, please see http://graduate.missouristate.edu/IDF.htm.
Graduate Student Workshops
Please RSVP at http://graduate.missouristate.edu/GradStudentWorkshops.htm
- Thesis Writing 101. Thursday, January 24, 2013, 4:00 to 5:00 pm., PSU 317A. Speaker: Tom Tomasi, Associate Dean of the Graduate College and Biology Professor. This session will focus on research requirements of the Graduate College, specifically dealing with formatting requirements for writing a thesis. The session will include hints on how to avoid some of the common pitfalls in thesis writing.
- How to Write an Abstract. Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 4:00 – 5:00 pm., PSU 317A. Speaker: Tom Tomasi, Associate Dean of the Graduate College and Biology Professor. This session will include suggestions on how to write an abstract. This session is intended to assist students as they prepare abstracts for their theses and for the Graduate Interdisciplinary Forum, which will be held April 27, 2013
- Presentation Pointers: Oral and Poster Presentation Success. Tuesday, April 16, 2013, 4:00 – 5:00 pm., PSU 317A. Speaker: Tom Tomasi, Associate Dean of the Graduate College and Biology Professor. This session will include suggestions and examples of successful presentation techniques for both oral and poster presenters. This session is intended to assist students as they prepare for the Graduate Interdisciplinary Forum which will be held April 27, 2013.