Missouri State recognizes instructor’s ‘Excellence in Advising’
Nora Cox, communication instructor and advisor, has won the 2015 Curtis P. Lawrence Award for Excellence in Advising, an honor Missouri State bestows on two advisors — chosen from the faculty and professional staff — each year.
Cox, the faculty recipient, will be honored alongside professional education advisor Juli Panza, the professional staff recipient, at the Master Advisor Reception on March 18, where each will receive a $1,500 cash award.
About Nora Cox
Cox earned her bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Missouri State — 2003 and 2005, respectively. She has been teaching at Missouri State since 2009 and began advising students in 2010. Cox said the award is a testament to the guidance she’s received from teachers, other advisors and her students.
“I’m incredibly humbled and stunned by the award, but mostly grateful,” she said. “Seeing students move through life as a scholar, seeing them develop and grow over a period of years, is an honor and a joy.”
Master Advisor Reception
Location: Plaster Student Union Ballroom East
Date: March 18
Time: 4 – 5 p.m.
About the award
Qualifications for nomination
- Nominee must have a minimum of two years of service to Missouri State at the time of nomination as a full-time employee with on-going academic advising responsibilities and currently assigned advisees.
- Nominee must be a current Master Advisor.
- Nominee must not have received the award in the previous three years.
Criteria for selection
- Knowledge of campus information and resources and use of that knowledge in helping students
- Knowledge of major and career-related information and academic policies and use of that knowledge in assisting students
- Demonstration of advising as a priority activity
- Use of innovative advising techniques and/or development of advising materials or systems
- Effective documentation of advising sessions through “Advising Notes”
- Reasonable accessibility to advisees and effective use of available time with advisees
- Efforts to create positive relationships with students
- Support of advisor training and development programs and efforts to improve advising services at Missouri State University
For more information about the award, contact the academic advisement center director Kathy Davis by email or at 417-836-5258.