Spring 2008 registration begins soon
Yep, it’s that time again, pre-registration for the spring 2008 semester begins in November. The schedule is already posted on the website, including your registration date and time. If you are new to this process, here are some tips and for those veterans out there, this is a refresher
1. Make an appointment to meet with your major advisor NOW. The earlier you meet, the more likely you’ll have your schedule ready to go WELL in advance of your date of registration. Also, if you need any paperwork or signatures, the earlier you get those submitted the better. If you aren’t sure who your advisor is, go to the MY INFORMATION on the university webpage, and click under Advising Notes or Advising Folder. The person’s name is hotlinked to their email address, so click it and send an email requesting a meeting. If no advisor name appears than you should call Karen in the department office at 836.4423.
2. Don’t always expect your advisor to tell you want to take in terms of classes. Be proactive and develop a trial schedule (a short list of courses you think you want to take). That will really impress your advisor. There are four year plans for each major in the department on our webpage so you can consult those for help.
3. Check on pre-requisites and need for permission. There is an online permissions form that you can submit in advance of registering for a class. Get those permissions completed before you register as well.
4. Pay attention to sequencing of courses. Some classes are only offered in the fall and others in the spring. Some classes are only offered on demand and not offered every semester.
5. If you need a signature for a waiver to register, or admission the major, plan on a 24 hour turn around time in our office. During this time of the semester I get a lot of requests for signatures. I take time to review each request individually. So, turn in your paperwork to Karen in Craig 375 and come back the next day about the same time.
6. In sum, get this work done at least a week before your registration day. Be prepared for anything.
Are you interested in PR? How about working for a company that distributes beer? Look into this job
Here’s a recent email from one of our alums:
“Hello, my name is Brittny Tolsch, and I’m hoping you can pass on a message to any interested students about a job opportunity. I graduated from the Com department in May of 06 and have been working at Wil Fischer Company since then. We have a position open for a Contemporary Marketing Coordinator and it needs to be filled ASAP! If you have any interested students, please direct them to our website, www.wilfischer.com– About Us- Careers. I’ve attached a brief description of the position*. Thanks for your help!
Contemporary Marketing Coordinator
Wil Fischer Companies
3539 W. Farm Rd. 142
Springfield, Mo 65807
Cell (417) 224-6106
*If you are interested in this position, email me directly and I will send you the job description. Meantime, you can email Brittny directly.
That’s all for now. Let me know if you have any questions!