It’s now officially spring–all the trees are leafed out, the spring flowers are taking hold, and everyone seems to be in shorts. Don’t you just love spring on a college campus? But it’s also hard to go to class when the sun is shinning and the sun is beckoning you to “catch some rays and chill.”
So, what do you do to keep yourself motivated to go to class? Maybe it’s that A you are trying to get in your hardest class. Maybe it’s that law school application that you are planning on and so your grades are doubly important. Maybe it’s a scholarship you are applying for that motivates you to keep your grades up. Whatever it is, keep your sights set high and keep motivating yourself to go to class, keep up with your reading (you can read outside, you know), and complete the semester well.
With these ideas in mind, I want to congratulate a few folks who recently received COM departmental scholarships and awards. It is their efforts to endure even when it’s tough to do that we celebrate. We announced the departmental scholarships at a ceremony on April 8 in the Student Union. We also inducted a new group of students into our national communication honor society, Lambda Pi Eta. Congratulations to all the students!
Not shown: Lauren Reiter: Richard Stovall Graduate Scholarship and Bridget Rapp: Chris Sifford Scholarship.
Speaking of Scholarships!
Are you a student majoring in communications or public relations who is planning a career in professional services marketing? If “yes” then read below for another scholarship opportunity!
The Society for Marketing Professional Services (SMPS) Foundation is now accepting applications for the 2010 Ron Garikes Student Scholarship! One outstanding scholar will be selected this year to receive a $1,500 scholarship award, to be used toward academic expenses, such as tuition and fees, books, supplies, and other similar expenses.
Eligibility requirements are:
1. Your college or university must be located in the continental United States and the institution’s accreditation must be recognized by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation.
2. You must be currently enrolled and pursuing a Bachelor of Arts, Associate of Arts, or a graduate degree in marketing, public relations, and/or communications.
3. Students pursuing a Bachelor or Associate degree must be enrolled full-time, with a course load of at least 12 semester hours. Students pursuing a graduate degree must be enrolled for a minimum of six credits.
4. You must currently have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0.
5. You must have two letters of recommendation: one from either your academic advisor or a professor in the degree program in which you are enrolled, and the other from a person who can speak to your passion about your major.
6. You may not have previously received any scholarship award from the SMPS Foundation or more than one scholarship from a SMPS Chapter.
7. You must respond to one of two essay questions.
Follow this link to download the scholarship application.
Application deadline: May 28, 2010
About the Ron Garikes Scholarship: This scholarship fund was created by the SMPS Foundation in partnership with Karlsberger, a full-service planning and architectural firm, where Ron Garikes spent most of his 27-year career. Garikes recently led the firm’s national Laboratory and Technology Group and served as COO of its Birmingham, AL, office. Headquartered in Columbus, OH, with additional offices in New York, NY, and Ann Arbor, MI, Karlsberger is one of the country’s leading consultants to the healthcare, pediatric, research, and education markets. A Distinguished Life Member and a Fellow, Garikes has served SMPS in the roles of National President (1991–92), National Board Secretary, Southeast Regional Director, and Foundation Trustee. Garikes is a founding member of SMPS Alabama and was president of that chapter. A contributing author to the three editions of The Marketing Handbook for the Design and Construction Professional,Garikes is an accomplished industry author and presenter, and a contributor to the SMPS journal, Marketer.