In March of 2020, the COVID-19 crisis changed how learning centers operated.
It forced leaders of higher education to develop new ways to reach students and support their college communities. The coronavirus continued to challenge these leaders during the summer and fall semesters.
The National College Learning Center Association (NCLCA) recently published a special issue of the Learning Assistance Review (TLAR) covering these challenges.
Michael Frizell, director of student learning services at Missouri State University, edited TLAR. Frizell has served as editor of TLAR since 2012.
Professionals from every corner of the U.S. contributed to this essay collection of the peer-reviewed journal.
About the essay collection
The essay collection titled “Rising to the Challenge: Navigating COVID-19 as Higher Education Learning Center Leaders” shares the stories of 48 learning centers.
It explains how institutions addressed the fluid situation of COVID-19 and continued to serve their students.
The special issue is free to members of NCLCA.
It will be available on Amazon for $64.95 starting Oct. 1.
NCLCA promotes excellence among learning center personnel.
The organization welcomes all interested in supporting college and university students’ academic success.
NCLCA supports professionals as they develop and maintain learning centers, programs and services. Their efforts serve to enhance student learning at the post-secondary level.
NCLCA’s support includes:
- Promoting professional standards in administration and management, program and curriculum design, evaluation and research.
- Acting on learning assistance issues at local, regional and national levels.
- Assisting in creating new learning centers and programs or enhancing existing ones.
- Providing opportunities for professional development, networking and idea exchange. This occurs through conferences, workshops, institutes and publications.
- Coordinating efforts with related professional associations.
- Offering forums for celebrating and respecting the profession.
Additional NCLCA resources
The NCLCA community works with learning center leaders across the world.
Focusing on the leadership of learning centers in higher education, NCLA offers:
- A popular annual conference and institute.
- Frequent webinars.
- A newsletter.
- A podcast.
- The journal, now in its 25th year.