Preparing for immigration does not have to be stressful. Follow these steps to make sure the process goes smoothly for you.
Check your documents
First, check your I-20 or DS-2019 for accuracy. Notify International Services if you find any errors.
- Make sure your name, country of birth, country of citizenship, and date of birth information matches your passport.
- Check that your program of study information is correct.
- Review your financial information for accuracy.
Obtain your student visa
Prepare for your visa appointment.*
- If your I-20 or DS-2019 is accurate, make an appointment with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate to apply for your student visa.
- Find your nearest embassy here https://www.usembassy.gov/.
- Review steps for getting your visa at https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/students.*
- Pay your SEVIS Fee at https://www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/index.html.*
- Complete Online Immigration Training. Instructions here https://international.missouristate.edu/services/300211.htm.
- Make copies or scan your documents, including your passport, immigration documents, and financial statements. Keep the originals with you while traveling and save copies or electronic versions for back up documentation.
*Transfer students who currently reside in the United States do not need to make a new visa appointment or pay another SEVIS fee.
Complete Online Immigration Training
Travel and arrival at your United States port of entry will be much easier if you are familiar with your immigration documents and identification that you need to present upon arrival in the United States.
Instructions here https://international.missouristate.edu/services/300211.htm.
You must complete this training before you will be able to register for classes. Learn more in our post, Register for Orientation.