image by blogs.transparent.com
In order to be successful at something, it is important to not only start working for your goals, but also to continue working hard as you go and grow. Keeping your eye on the ball can help you achieve your dreams and stay focused on what you want to accomplish. Learn about the expression “keep one’s eye on the ball” and add it to your English personal vocabulary.
- To stay focused
- To stay attentive and ready
- To remain alert to the events occurring around oneself
- To give your attention to what you are doing at the time
- To continue thinking about or giving attention to something important
Keep your eye on the ball is an informal way of telling someone to pay attention to a situation. It is commonly used in (and originates from) the game of baseball, to imply that players need to watch where the ball is at all times. It is used commonly in business and life outside of the game of baseball as well, to emphasize simply that it’s important to be attentive and careful.
- “I graduated in just three years because I was able to keep my eye on the ball and prioritize my studies above all else.”
- “It’s important to keep your eye on the ball this week, our biggest client will be visiting the factory for random inspections.”
- “She really needs to keep her eye on the ball if she wants to win the election.”
As an athlete giving their best to win a game, you need to keep your eye on the ball when it comes to English. Improving your language skills will lead you to great success in your personal, academic, and professional life. At the English Language Institute, we want to help you keep your eye on the ball, so check our website for opportunities to improve your English.