Area residents interested in enrolling in the 2014 fall semester cohort of Missouri State University’s Master’s in Social Work (MSW) degree at Missouri State University-West Plains are invited to attend one of several upcoming free informational sessions.
Deanna Smith, coordinator of Missouri State’s Outreach Program at the West Plains campus, said sessions will be held at several locations throughout the region in coming weeks to provide those interested with important information about the program and how to apply. Dates, times and locations of those sessions are as follows:
- Oct. 21: 5 to 8:30 p.m. at the Ava Lions Club, 309 N. Jefferson St., Ava, Mo.
- Oct. 22: 4 to 8 p.m. at Southwest Baptist University’s Mtn. View campus, 209 W. First St., Mtn. View, Mo.
- Oct. 23: 5 to 8:30 p.m. at the YMCA, 600 Cedar Ave., Cabool, Mo.
- Oct. 24: 5 to 8:30 p.m. Oct. 24 at Missouri State-West Plains Mountian Grove Extended Campus’ Shannon Hall, 401 E. 17th St., Mountain Grove, Mo.
- Oct. 24: 5 to 8 p.m. at Thayer High School, 401 E. Walnut, Thayer, Mo.
- Oct. 28: 5 to 8:30 p.m. at the Houston Elementary School library, 423 W. Pine St., Houston, Mo.
- Nov. 4: 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Ozarks Medical Center, 1100 Kentucky Ave., West Plains, Mo.
- Nov. 4: 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. at OMC Behavioral Healthcare, 909 N. Kentucky Ave., West Plains, Mo.
- Nov. 5: 5 to 8 p.m. at Gohn Hall Room 109 on the Missouri State-West Plains campus, 603 W. Main St., West Plains, Mo.
A full list of dates, times and locations for MSW informational sessions can be found at http://outreach.missouristate.edu/mswsessions.htm.
The first cohort of MSW students began studies this fall, and university officials said they couldn’t be more pleased with the interest shown for this new program. “We are so excited about the talented and energetic students who have been admitted into our first Master of Social Work cohort in West Plains,” said Dr. Darryl Haslam, MSW program coordinator. “We are looking forward to wonderful opportunities we have to support their education toward becoming community leaders and partners in the West Plains area.
“We also are pleased about the continued interest we have received from individuals who want to pursue the program next year,” he added. “Lastly, we greatly appreciate the support of so many individuals in West Plains and the surrounding communities who have helped make this program a reality.”
The MSW program is delivered at Missouri State-West Plains through on-site, blended, interactive television (ITV) and online courses offered in a part-time rotation – six hours each fall and spring semester, and three hours during the summer session. It is designed for students with bachelor’s degrees in fields other than social work, such as psychology, sociology and criminology, university officials said, explaining the program includes foundational social work courses, as well as advanced course work.
Enrollment is through a selective process, with 15 to 18 students admitted to each cohort. Potential students must have maintained a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale with the bachelor’s degree to be considered.
The deadline to apply for the 2014 fall semester cohort is 5 p.m. Jan. 31, 2014. Area residents will need to complete an application to the university’s graduate school online at www.graduate.missouristate.edu, plus complete other admission materials for the department. Departmental application forms can be picked up in Gohn Hall on the Missouri State-West Plains campus or found at http://www.missouristate.edu/swk/Graduate/Apply.htm.
“Our first cohort of MSW students is successfully nearing the end of their first semester, and we look forward to a new cohort of MSW students from the West Plains region in the fall of 2014,” said Dr. Carol Langer, director of Missouri State’s School of Social Work. “Becoming a partner in helping to meet the growing needs for educationally-prepared social workers is important to us at Missouri State University.”
For more information about the MSW program, visit http://www.missouristate.edu/swk/Graduate/ or call Smith at 417-255-7931.
- MindEdge offering three noncredit online courses for free until August 31 - March 27, 2020
- Ozarka College enters articulation agreement with MSU Outreach in West Plains - July 12, 2019
- Outreach helps elementary education students prepare for exams - March 8, 2019
- Online hotel management degree recognized as one of the best - October 8, 2018
- Summer and Fall 2018 Off-Campus Programs Facebook Ads - July 17, 2018
- Master of Science in Counseling in West Plains Campaign - March 2, 2018
- Open House / Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for Public Safety Training Center / MSU-Camdenton Social Media Kit - August 15, 2017
- Summer and Fall 2017 Off-Campus Programs Facebook Ads - May 30, 2017
- Spring / Summer 2017 Educational Administration / Missouri State Direct Campaign Complete - April 10, 2017
- Summer and Fall 2017 Off-Campus Program Brochures Now Available - March 24, 2017