WEST PLAINS, Mo. – Area residents interested in enrolling in the 2017 cohort of Missouri State University’s Master’s in Social Work (MSW) degree at Missouri State University-West Plains are encouraged to apply by Jan. 31, 2017.
That date is the deadline for area residents to apply to be considered for the 2017 summer cohort for students with a Bachelor of Social Work or the 2017 fall cohort for students with any other bachelor degree, said Deanna Smith, coordinator of Missouri State’s Outreach Program on the West Plains campus.
The MSW prepares students for ethical leadership and skills to advance human and community well-being, university officials said. The first cohort of MSW students began studies in fall 2013, and university officials couldn’t be more pleased with the interest shown in the program. “We look forward to continually providing this educational opportunity for the region,” said Jannette Eldred, clinical instructor and coordinator of the MSW program.
The MSW program is delivered at Missouri State-West Plains through seated, blended and online courses offered in a part-time rotation – six hours each fall and spring semester, and commitment to three hours during the summer session. The advanced standing MSW program is designed for students who already hold a bachelor’s degree in social work (BSW). The regular standing MSW program is designed for students with bachelor’s degrees in fields other than social work, such as psychology, sociology and criminology, university officials said, explaining the program includes foundational social work courses, as well as advanced course work.
Enrollment is through a competitive and selective process, with 15 to 18 students admitted to each West Plains’ cohort. Potential students must have maintained a cumulative grade point average of 3.25 on a 4.0 scale with their bachelor’s degrees to be considered.
Area residents will need to complete an application to the university’s graduate school online at www.graduate.missouristate.edu, plus complete other admission materials for the department. Departmental application forms can be found at http://www.missouristate.edu/swk/Graduate/Apply.htm or brochures with more information may be picked up in Gohn Hall Room 101 on the Missouri State-West Plains campus.
For more information about the MSW program, visit http://www.missouristate.edu/swk/Graduate/ or call Smith at 417-255-7777.
- West Plains M.S. in Counseling Media Kit - October 16, 2017
- Missouri State Professors Awarded for Excellence in Distance Education Fall 2017 - October 9, 2017
- MSU Public Safety Training Center Media Kit - May 22, 2017
- Master Online Course Recognition Awards for 2016 - May 3, 2017
- Hiring web development GA - May 3, 2017
- Missouri Caves and Speleology Media Kit - April 28, 2017
- Certified Distance Educator Award Recipients - February 15, 2017
- Apply by January 31, 2017, for Master of Social Work degree cohort in West Plains - October 14, 2016
- MSU-Lebanon gifted Marie Williams Trust Endowment - October 12, 2016
- MSU hosts annual Stop the Violence Conference - September 30, 2016