For Zoey Hambelton, taking classes close to home has been a blessing.
Learning where her life is
Zoey Hambelton has always lived around West Plains. Her family, friends, and job are all in the area. Missouri State Outreach’s program in West Plains allows her to stay close to home while pursuing her degree.
“Outreach helps me tremendously. Being able to get my degree while staying at West Plains allows me to be home much more. I recently got married in October 2019. My husband and I were together for about four years before we were married, but being able to stay near my hometown, while allowing him to pursue his career and not have to live separately our first year of marriage has been a blessing.”
Balancing work and school
Completing a degree in West Plains also allows Zoey to continue working at a job she’s had for three years.
“I currently work as a waitress at The Fish Shack in West Plains. Outreach has also allowed me to be at the same job that I have had for the last three years. If I had to move, I would have had to search for a new job and in turn leave a job that works great with my college schedule.”
Getting involved on campus
Even with an all-online course load, Zoey still finds opportunities to get involved on campus.
“I don’t have any classes on campus this semester; however, I use the campus facilities at least once a week. In the fall, I did have an ITV class once a week. I was fortunate to be able to take that class and not have to drive to Springfield for it.”
Zoey was also recently named a student ambassador for Outreach in West Plains.
“Overall, my experience as an ambassador has been great! I’ve enjoyed getting to be more involved with campus activities and help other students.”
Looking to the future
In May 2021, Zoey will graduate with a degree in agricultural business.
“I don’t have for sure set plan after I receive my degree, but I am looking to go into banking, or the United States Department of Agriculture.”
- Return to Finish Scholarship helps student Level Up in the Entertainment Management field - September 24, 2020
- Following her passion - September 10, 2020
- MSU expands Early College online program to virtual learning and homeschool students. - August 20, 2020
- School close to home provides ideal opportunity for newlywed - August 5, 2020
- Cohort sticks together after graduation to build West Plains counseling center - July 16, 2020
- 2019 Master Online Course Recognition Awards Winners - July 7, 2020
- Leading users through end-to-end journeys - October 15, 2019
- Alumni Spotlight: Eden Olena, MA in Professional/Technical Writing - October 10, 2019
- Adult Student Services wins award for service to nontraditional students - May 1, 2019
- MSU Online is #2 for online learning in Missouri - May 23, 2018