Department Head, Economics
Missouri State University
GOLD Class VIII: 2014-2015
After spending 20 years at the University of Northern Iowa, Dr. Ken Brown came to Missouri State University in 2014. Once he got settled, his Dean told him about Missouri State Noncredit’s Greater Ozarks Leadership Development (GOLD) program. Looking for a way to get involved with the community, Ken applied for MSU’s homegrown leadership program.
When asked to share the most valuable thing he experienced in the program, Ken said that would be tricky to define. Instead, he shared how the program impacted his life. According to Ken, GOLD provides opportunities to learn about good things going on in the community, as well as opportunities to learn how you can serve the community. During the program, Ken was moved by Springfield residents who are experiencing homelessness and wanted to get involved. Since he has left the program, he has been heavily involved with serving residents who are experiencing homelessness in Springfield.
A worthy investment
When Ken began the GOLD program, he was nervous about being new to the area and joining a leadership program because he didn’t know what that meant. However, within the first few minutes at GOLD, he felt very comfortable. Throughout the course of the program, he was able to meet people who want to make Springfield a better place.
Ken said that the financial and time cost of the GOLD program pays for itself many times over, not only in the knowledge gained, but in the connections made. As a professor, the local government, law enforcement, and corporate connections made through GOLD helps him support his students. If anyone is considering a leadership program in Springfield, Ken highly recommends GOLD.
- Crowder College and Missouri State University bring Teacher Education to Webb City - September 1, 2021
- Missouri State expands MSU62 to include online classes. - July 7, 2021
- GOLD Program Alumni Spotlight: Ken Brown - May 19, 2021
- 2020 Master Online Course Recognition Award winners - May 7, 2021
- New off-campus program launches in Webb City - May 5, 2021
- Return to Finish Scholarship helps student Level Up in the Entertainment Management field - September 24, 2020
- Following her passion - September 10, 2020
- MSU expands Early College online program to virtual learning and homeschool students. - August 20, 2020
- School close to home provides ideal opportunity for newlywed - August 5, 2020
- Cohort sticks together after graduation to build West Plains counseling center - July 16, 2020