In honor of National Physician Assistant Week (October 6-12) the MSU PA Class of 2020 hosted the annual Healthcare Symposium on October 7th. This event offers undergraduate students an opportunity to explore potential careers in healthcare. A variety of healthcare professionals from around the Springfield area were invited to speak about their careers. Speakers shared their initial interest in their selected field, educational path, day-to-day schedule, and advice for prospective students.
• Patrick Brooks, MD: General and Colon/Rectal Surgery Physician
• Jen Miller, PT, ACE-CPT: Physical Therapist and Personal Trainer
• Amy Vaughan, OTD, OTR/L, BCP: Occupational Therapist
• Alex Limochenko, BS, RRT: Respiratory Therapist
• Kacie Craig, M.Ed, RT(R): Radiologic Technologist
• Jessica Schwent, BS, CCRP: Clinical Researcher
• Alix Opfer, MS, RD, LD, ACSM-CPT: Dietitian
• Christian Provence-Harmon BSW, LMSW: Social Worker
• Laurie Miller, RN, MSN, APRN, FNP-BC: Urgent Care Nurse Practitioner
• Shannon Hauschildt, PA-C: Orthopedic Surgery Physician Assistant
With over sixty students in attendance, the auditorium quickly filled to standing room only. Some of the speakers had affiliations with professional programs around town and were able to answer program specific questions from the audience. At the end of the event, we held a Q&A with our expert panel. They were able to give even more insight into the struggles they have faced throughout their career and guidance to undergrads seeking the same career path. We had great turnout, great speakers, and an overall successful event!
Photos and Content provided by :
Emily Suchanek, PA-S1
2020 Class President