Today marks the beginning of homecoming week. I hope you are as excited as I am and ready to engage in a variety of activities which will take place this week. I encourage each of you to find an opportunity to get engaged in as many activities as possible. Please join me on Saturday to cheer on the Bears to victory against the Illinois State Redbirds.
Theme inspires inclusion
“Bears Breaking Barriers” is this year’s homecoming theme. From the president’s office, my thoughts surrounding Bears Breaking Barriers lead me to the University’s commitment to diversity and inclusion. Having difficult conversations and breaking the barriers of silence and exclusion have been challenges keenly felt across the nation, and on our own campus, over the last year.
We have learned how important it is to respond quickly to harassing and intimidating behaviors, to offer transparency and to open dialogues, and to take action to avoid reoccurrence. I can’t say we do this perfectly, but I am committed to continuous improvement by focusing on breaking the barriers via the campus climate study, offering diversity and inclusion training for faculty and staff, presenting events such as the All Black Lives Matter panel, and bringing diverse speakers such as actress Laverne Cox and author Wes Moore on campus to discuss their experiences.
At Missouri State, we value diversity and inclusion and we want everyone on campus to feel welcomed and included as we head into homecoming. The entire campus community is expected to demonstrate cultural competence and ethical leadership throughout our homecoming activities and each day our campus is open. Creating an environment that welcomes all is in the best interest of all. Thank you for joining me in breaking barriers.
- Clif’s Notes for Nov. 28, 2023 - November 28, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Nov. 14, 2023 - November 14, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Nov. 7, 2023 - November 7, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Oct. 31, 2023 - October 31, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Oct. 24, 2023 - October 24, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Oct. 17, 2023 - October 17, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Oct. 10, 2023 - October 10, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Oct. 3, 2023 - October 3, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Sept. 26, 2023 - September 26, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Sept. 19, 2023 - September 19, 2023