This is the third Clif’s Note in a series updating the campus community on the progress we have made on university priorities.
Diversity continues to be a priority
Diversity has been an important priority throughout my time at Missouri State. We have a long history of working diligently to enhance the diversity of the university and to create an inclusive environment. During the past year, diversity and inclusion became a much more visible focus point for the university due to events at the University of Missouri and concerns raised here at home.
Earlier this year we updated Missouri State’s Diversity Programs and Actions Inventory.
- Setting a new record with 2,796 (12.2 percent) students from underrepresented groups in fall 2015. Enrollment of underrepresented students increased by 24.8 percent from fall 2012 to fall 2015.
- Missouri State’s diversity scholarship programs, including two full tuition scholarships and up to 50 Multicultural Leadership Scholarships with a value of $5,000 per year
- Established a Diversity Council to advise the president on issues related to diversity and inclusion
- Increased the university budget for diversity and inclusion programs and expanded the physical plant for the Multicultural Resource Center
- Achieved the 20 percent diversity hiring target
- Expanded targeted GEP 101 sections for first generation students
- Targeted outreach programs to underrepresented current and prospective students
- Partnerships with college access programs including Kauffman Scholars, College Bound, Wyman Scholars and College Summit
- Numerous grant programs supporting diversity efforts
- A long list of diversity activities, events and projects through the office of student engagement, Student Activities Council, residence life, the office of multicultural programs, and other offices, departments and divisions throughout the university
- Numerous academic programs and courses directed at diversity issues
Recognizing that we still have a lot of work to do, I am proud of the progress we have made together to address diversity and inclusion issues at our university. I look forward to continuing to work with you to move the university forward in developing a campus climate that is inclusive for all.
Thanks for all you do for Missouri State!
- Clif’s Notes for Jan. 25, 2022 - January 25, 2022
- Clif’s Notes for Jan. 18, 2022 - January 18, 2022
- Clif’s Notes for Jan. 11, 2022 - January 11, 2022
- Clif’s Notes for Dec. 21, 2021 - December 21, 2021
- Clif’s Notes for Dec. 14, 2021 - December 14, 2021
- Clif’s Notes for Dec. 7, 2021 - December 7, 2021
- Clif’s Notes for Nov. 30, 2021 - November 30, 2021
- Clif’s Notes for Nov. 16, 2021 - November 16, 2021
- Clif’s Notes for Nov. 9, 2021 - November 9, 2021
- Clif’s Notes for Nov. 2, 2021 - November 2, 2021