Last week we issued our official enrollment report. I am pleased to report that Missouri State University set another enrollment record with 26,216 students throughout the system for fall 2017.
The Springfield campus also set another record with 24,350 students, up 234 from last fall. Over the past decade enrollment on the Springfield campus has grown by more than 22 percent.
Our growth in domestic student enrollment was offset by a decrease of 212 (14 percent) in international students. I will be meeting with our international programs team in the coming weeks and months to develop strategies to mitigate these decreases in future years.
Our freshman class (i.e., “first-time new-in-college”) includes 3,184 students, an increase of 1.9 percent over last fall. A total of 2,750 of these students are from Missouri. Mizzou had only four more first-time new-in-college students from Missouri than we did as this gap continues to close.
Additionally, 1,264 transfer students are from Missouri. A total of 4,014 new degree-seeking undergraduates are from Missouri.
Other highlights include:
- Graduate student enrollment increased by 128 to 3,505
- Enrollment of students from underrepresented groups increased 181 to 3,159
- Our student body includes students from all counties in Missouri, every state in the United States, and 88 countries throughout the world
West Plains sees small decrease
On the West Plains campus, the census day figures show 1,930 students are taking classes compared to 1,951 students last fall.
Keeping our campus safe
Last week the U.S. Department of Education rescinded some of the guidance previously provided on sexual misconduct under Title IX and issued new interim guidance. We have analyzed that guidance and determined that it does not require any immediate changes to our policies and procedures. We will continue to monitor this situation as legal changes unfold, and we will engage as appropriate in the Department of Education rulemaking process.
Keeping students safe is critically important to me, the Board of Governors and our administrative leadership at Missouri State. We will continue to work diligently to prevent sexual assault and other forms of violence on campus.
Thanks for all you do for Missouri State!
- Clif’s Notes for Oct. 17, 2017 - October 17, 2017
- Clif’s Notes Oct. 10, 2017 - October 10, 2017
- Clif’s Notes for Oct. 3, 2017 - October 3, 2017
- Clif’s Notes for Sept. 26, 2017 - September 26, 2017
- Clif’s Notes for Sept. 19, 2017 - September 19, 2017
- Clif’s Notes for Sept. 12, 2017 - September 12, 2017
- Supporting our DACA students - September 6, 2017
- 2017 State of the University address - September 6, 2017
- Clif’s Notes for Sept. 5, 2017 - September 5, 2017
- Clif’s Notes for Aug. 29, 2017 - August 29, 2017