Legislative session began two weeks ago.
Missouri State University receives less state funds per student than any other university in the state. Our primary goal this legislative session is to work toward reducing this funding gap.
Governor presents recommendations
Governor Mike Parson released his budget recommendations last week. Highlights include:
- $16.3 million for the Missouri Excels grant program. $2.85 million of this appropriation would go toward MSU’s proposed nursing expansion.
- $22.2 million for a new program called the Fast-Track Workforce Grant Program. This program would provide tuition grants to low-income adults over the age of 25 who are working toward degree programs that fill a high-needs skills gap.
- $20 million for deferred maintenance at public universities. The $20 million would be divided equally by the universities with each receiving $2 million.
- A $1.5 million increase for the A+ Scholarship Program, a $960,000 increase for the Access Missouri Financial Assistance Program and a $500,000 increase for the Bright Flight program.
- No core operating appropriation increases for any universities or community colleges.
Budget conversation continues
The budget process will now move to the legislature. I, along with two members of our Board of Governors and several members of our administrative team, hosted a briefing with approximately 75 legislators in Jefferson City last week. My remarks focused exclusively on our case for reducing the funding gap.
Following that briefing I met with leadership in the House and the Senate to discuss the funding per student inequity that exists.
I will be joined by Springfield community leaders in Jefferson City again this week. We will meet with legislators and others to discuss policy priorities for our region. Missouri State University’s funding gap will be one of the priorities discussed at those meetings.
We will continue to advocate on this critical issue throughout the legislative session.
Be an advocate
If you would like to help advocate for Missouri State University, please join the MSU Legislative Network.
If you would like talking points, advocacy tips or additional information about MSU’s legislative priorities and the funding gap that exists, please visit the Legislative Advocacy webpage.
Thanks for all you do for Missouri State!
- Clif’s Notes for March 7, 2023 - March 7, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Feb. 28, 2023 - February 28, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Feb. 21, 2023 - February 21, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Feb. 14, 2023 - February 14, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Feb. 7, 2023 - February 7, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Jan. 31, 2023 - January 31, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Jan. 24, 2023 - January 24, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Jan. 17, 2023 - January 17, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Jan. 10, 2023 - January 10, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Dec. 20, 2022 - December 20, 2022