Last week the Budget Committee in the Missouri House of Representatives voted the state’s budget out of their committee. This version of the budget includes:
- $4.7 million in an ongoing equity adjustment for Missouri State University’s core operating appropriation
- $11 million in one-time maintenance and repair funding for public universities, $1 million of which is designated for Missouri State
- $2.85 million from the Missouri Excels program that is designated for expanding Missouri State’s nursing program
We are very pleased with this progress. As you know, we receive less state funding per student than any other university in the state. The $4.7 million equity adjustment approved by the House Budget Committee will have a dramatic impact on our ability to fund cost-of-living pay increases and the minimum wage increase for student workers, keep tuition affordable and expand academic programs.
I want to thank the members of the House Budget Committee for their hard work and commitment to Missouri State University. The entire committee deserves credit, but several members of the committee demonstrated exceptional support for our equitable funding request:
We anticipate the House will debate, amend and pass the budget next week. The budget will then move to the Senate.
There is still a long way to go in the appropriations process before outcomes are certain. However, we will continue to work with legislators to advocate that the equity adjustment that is now in the budget be maintained and increased.
Fun at the ballpark
Several weeks ago I asked you to send me “where’s the fun” ideas. We received great feedback. I am impressed with the ideas our faculty and staff have for creating an interesting and convivial atmosphere on campus.
We have put one of these ideas into motion immediately. On March 26, the Bears baseball team will play the University of Arkansas at 6:30 p.m. at Hammons Field. This promises to be a good game against a serious opponent and a regional rival.
We have decided to make this game free for all faculty, staff and their families and friends who accompany them to the game. To get your free tickets either go to the JQH Arena ticket office prior to the game or go to Hammons Field on game day. You will need to show your BearPass at the ticket office to verify that you work at Missouri State.
I would also encourage you to do more than just show up to the game. Use this as an opportunity to meet up with your colleagues for dinner or a drink before the game to build relationships and enjoy a fun night together. My experience has been that going to a game is always more fun with friends.
If you have other “where’s the fun?” ideas, please email them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for all you do for Missouri State!
- Clif’s Notes for May 4, 2021 - May 4, 2021
- Clif’s Notes for April 27, 2021 - April 27, 2021
- Clif’s Notes for April 20, 2021 - April 20, 2021
- Clif’s Notes for April 13, 2021 - April 13, 2021
- Clif’s Notes for April 6, 2021 - April 6, 2021
- Clif’s Notes for March 30, 2021 - March 30, 2021
- Clif’s Notes for March 23, 2021 - March 23, 2021
- Clif’s Notes for March 9, 2021 - March 9, 2021
- Clif’s Notes for March 2, 2021 - March 2, 2021
- Clif’s Notes for Feb. 23, 2021 - February 23, 2021