On April 2, 2019, we will have several important candidates and issues to vote on. I urge each of you to research the candidates and issues and put the public affairs mission into practice by voting.
Learn about the local candidates
Municipal elections are on the ballot for several southwest Missouri cities. In Springfield, we have two contested council races. We also have uncontested races for mayor and three other council seats. You can learn about the candidates through the News-Leader’s January article.
Tax to fund priority projects
Voters in the City of Springfield will also decide whether to renew a ¼-cent sales tax to fund capital improvements. City leaders utilized a citizen survey to help them identify 20 high priority projects to complete in the first five years if the tax is renewed.
The Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce has endorsed the tax renewal. You can find more information about this ballot measure online.
Thomas-Tate among SPS board candidates
School board elections are also on the ballot. Springfield Public Schools has three candidates running for two available seats on the board. Two of the candidates are incumbents. The third candidate is a new voice in local politics, Dr. Shurita Thomas-Tate.
Dr. Thomas-Tate is an associate professor in our communication sciences and disorders department. The Springfield News-Leader ran an article in December highlighting Dr. Thomas-Tate and why she decided to run for school board.
You can learn about the candidates for Springfield Public School board through Claudette Riley’s News-Leader article published earlier this month.
Improving local schools
Voters in the Springfield School District will also decide whether to finance 39 high-priority school improvements with an 18-cent increase to the property tax debt-service levy.
- Secure entrances at 31 schools, with double-entry points, intercoms, cameras and electronic locking controls
- Extensive renovation of Hillcrest High School, Sunshine Elementary and Williams Elementary
- New facilities for Boyd Elementary, Delaware Elementary and Jarrett Middle School
- Expanded classroom space for preschool education throughout the district
The Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce has endorsed the proposal. You can find more information about this proposal online.
Thanks for all you do for Missouri State!
- Clif’s Notes for Jan. 24, 2023 - January 24, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Jan. 17, 2023 - January 17, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Jan. 10, 2023 - January 10, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Dec. 20, 2022 - December 20, 2022
- Clif’s Notes for Dec. 13, 2022 - December 13, 2022
- Clif’s Notes for Dec. 6, 2022 - December 6, 2022
- Clif’s Notes for Nov. 29, 2022 - November 29, 2022
- Clif’s Notes for Nov. 15, 2022 - November 15, 2022
- Clif’s Notes for Nov. 8, 2022 - November 8, 2022
- Clif’s Notes for Nov. 1, 2022 - November 1, 2022